chapter 16: talk of the town

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

Yuuji was walking through the halls. He noticed the whole school was excited over something. They were whispering excitedly, almost like an event was happening. 

"Did you get invited?" one girl said.

"No," she responded sadly. "If only I could go though! Do you think I could sneak in?" She asked. And they kept whispering to themselves. 

"As always, I'm out of the loop," Yuuji mumbled to himself. He entered the classroom and saw Sukuna already there, sitting on top of his desk surrounded by people.

"Chiyo's not allowed to come, she's ugly as fuck," he dismissed her. "And Jun's annoying so he's out too. Hiro, write this down. I'm not going to repeat myself." He directed Hiro, who was writing names down on a piece of paper.

"Sukuna can I come?" A boy to the right of him asked.

"Sure, only if you bring a present though. Nobody's allowed to come without a present." Then he turned to look at Yuuji who was sitting at his desk. 

"You're not allowed to come, so don't even try it!" He yelled.

Yuuji was confused. "Huh? What are you talking about?"

"It's obviously about my birthday party," he said. "And you can't come. So don't even ask me."

Yuuji got annoyed and he stood up from his desk and walked over to Sukuna's desk. "What do you mean I can't come? It's my birthday too! We're twins!" Yuuji argued. 

But Sukuna got off his desk and stared him down. Yuuji got slightly intimidated, especially with everyone watching them. "I don't give a fuck. You better not show up or I'll send you to the hospital. And I mean it." He threatened.

Yuuji looked down, remembering how he got beat up by Sukuna last time he did something to annoy him. "Fine," he walked back to his seat. "I don't want to go to your stupid party anyway. Being around you for my birthday would ruin it."

"I agree, being around you will ruin the party," Sukuna said. "So you'll just have to spend your birthday alone!" He laughed and all his friends joined in with him. 

Yuuji just kept his head down, trying to ignore them. "Nobody cares that it's my birthday too. As always," he mumbled to himself.

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

Later during cleaning duty, Megumi and Yuuji were mopping the floor, when Yuuji asked, "Are you going to Sukuna's party?"

Megumi kept mopping. "Yeah, since we're dating. He's practically making me. I just hope it doesn't turn out like last time. But it hopefully won't, since it's his birthday. Oh and it's yours too," he looked at Yuuji.

Yuuji scoffed. "Did you know he's not letting me come even though it's my birthday too? I can't believe that guy. Everyone is going to celebrate his birthday while I'm invisible yet again. Fine, I don't care." He ranted.

Megumi leaned his mop against the wall. "Then should we do something for your birthday too?" He suggested. "Just the two of us?" Yuuji looked at him in surprise. 

"Or if you want you can gather more people," he continued. "Because you deserve to celebrate your birthday too and not just Sukuna."

"Nah, I don't have enough friends for a whole gathering," he dismissed the idea. But Yuuji was touched that Megumi wanted to spend time with him on his birthday. And it was just the two of them. "Really? You want to celebrate with me?" He asked.

"Of course," Megumi confirmed. "Since we're friends."

Friends. The words stung a bit. 

"Yeah. Yeah of course," Yuuji repeated. "We're good friends."

If only we were more than friends, Yuuji thought.