chapter 9: just the two of us

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

Yuuji was on the living room couch, reading a book when his dad came up from behind him. 

"Sukuna left his phone here, on the kitchen table." His dad handed him the phone. "Can you go give it to him?" He requested. 

Yuuji sat up. "But he's at the dance! And I don't want to go there." Yuuji remembered that Megumi was Sukuna's date at the dance. He wasn't in the mood to see them dancing together. It would just make him jealous. "He'll be fine, it's only for one night," he leaned back onto the couch. 

But his dad took the book away from him. Yuuji reached for his book back but his dad moved it behind his back. "What if something happens? Like an emergency? Like if a fire got started and someone got hurt? He needs to have his phone with him so he can call me!" His dad got slightly paranoid. He was always a bit overprotective, especially because he was afraid of losing them like he lost his wife.

Yuuji just sighed. "Okay, I'll give it to him. Can't believe that guy, making trouble for me when he's not even here." Yuuji took the phone from his dad and got up.

• ☼ • ☾ • ✰ •

Yuuji arrived at the dance hall. He really didn't want to go around searching through the crowd, looking for Sukuna. But before he entered, he spotted a figure sitting next to the parking lot on the side of the building. 

Megumi. It was Megumi. What was he doing there, sitting alone?

Yuuji walked over to him. "Megumi? Why are you sitting out here?" Yuuji asked in surprise. "Where's Sukuna?"

Megumi rested his chin on his palm. "He's inside, beating people up. He started a massive fight with some guy and now they are fighting on the dance floor. It might be over now, but I don't really want to go check." He turned to Yuuji noticing he was wearing normal clothes. "Did you just show up here?"

Yuuji scratched his head. "Haha, yeah. I wasn't going to come, but I came to give Sukuna his phone." He took out Sukuna's phone and showed it to Megumi, then he put it back in his pocket. "My dad asked me to."

"Did you not have anyone to go with?" Megumi asked him.

"What?" He hesitated, not knowing how to answer. "Nah, I did have someone to go with," he lied, not wanting to seem like a loner who couldn't get a date, even though that's exactly what he was. "But they got a stomach ache so we didn't go."

"Oh, okay," Megumi looked down in disappointed. So he did have someone he liked, Megumi thought.

Megumi got up. "Well, I'm leaving. This was a giant waste of time for me. At least I got to eat, but I never even got to dance." He dusted off himself.

"Wait you never got to dance?" Yuuji asked. And then he remembered Megumi talking about the fight Sukuna started. "Oh, right."

"Well then, um," Yuuji shuffled his feet nervously. "Since we're both here, and it's supposed to be a dance, well," he hesitantly got the words out.

"Do you want to dance with me?"

Megumi was surprised to be asked. But then he smiled. "Sure," he accepted. "But how about music? Are we just going to dance without music? That would be a bit awkward."

Yuuji took his phone out of his other pocket. "I can play some music on my phone." He took out his red wireless earphones. "Um, what song do you want to listen to?" He asked. 

Megumi shook his head. "Doesn't matter, anything's good. You can pick."

Yuuji looked through his phone playlist, trying to find a good song that they could dance to. He wanted to play something not too fast, but not too slow. And then a particular song caught his eye. Just the two of us by Grover. Washington Jr. He handed Megumi an earbud, and they both placed one in their ear. Megumi had the right earbud and Yuuji had the left one. Then Yuuji pressed play.

♪ I see the crystal raindrops fall, and the beauty of it all, is when the sun comes shining through ♪

Yuuji reached a hand out. "May I?" He asked. Megumi nodded. "Of course." And then Yuuji held one of Megumi's hands with one hand, and wrapped his arm around Megumi's waist with the other, while they started swaying to the music. 

♪ To make those rainbows in my mind, when I think of you sometime. And I wanna spend some time with you ♪

Yuuji noticed that Megumi had a flower petal stuck in his hair, and he picked it off. "For you," he said, showing Megumi the petal. Megumi smiled and put it in his pocket. Then Yuuji complimented him, "You look beautiful Megumi."

"You do too," Megumi responded. 

Yuuji was confused. He looked down at what he was wearing. "But I'm only wearing regular clothes?"

Megumi just laughed. "It's fine. It still applies. Because you always look good," He told Yuuji.

Yuuji blushed a light pink, feeling slightly giddy over being complimented. "Thanks, you too."

"You already said that," Megumi reminded him. 

"Uh, did I?" He asked nervously. "Uh, whoops..." Megumi laughed again. Yuuji couldn't help but think Megumi was cute when he laughed. 

"Thank you for being here Yuuji," Megumi told him in appreciation.

Yuuji smiled. "I'm glad I could be here with you."

♪ Just the two of us. We can make it if we try, just the two of us ♪

I really do like Megumi. Yuuji thought. I don't know if I have a chance, but that won't stop me from liking him. Because at least, in this moment, instead of Sukuna, I'm the one here, dancing with Megumi. 

♪ Just the two of us. You and I ♪

And they danced together for the rest of the night.