The Mobster's Daughter: Chapter 5

"Belle?" I woke to Liam hovering over me, obviously deciding whether I was a grumpy riser.
"Yeah?" I sat up, stifling a yawn, behind my fist.
"Do you think you can take over? Just keep driving down this highway, it'll take you right to the next town. Just stop when you get there." I nodded, hopping out of the car. I leaned against the driver's door, taking in the cool night air.
I sighed, plopping down into the seat, adjusting it.
"So we-" I cut off, looking into the rear view mirror to see Liam sprawled out in the backseat, snoring softly. I smiled to myself, he looked so peaceful.

As I drove, my mind wandered off toward my father. I'd always hoped that one day my father would get out of the family business. Despite my constant pleas, he always said 'Stones never back down, no matter what.' I eventually gave up on the begging and accepted the business for what it was. Illegal, and very dangerous.
I fully intended to go by his words, whatever it took. Which is why Jake had to be taken out, and next was Andrew. I thought about keeping Tony, torture as to avenge my father's death. Andrew had the decency to keep on a stony face, whilst Tony had laughed at my poor father's expense. My hands tightened on the steering wheel.
I smiled grimly, as the sun started to rise. I hadn't realized I'd been driving that long.
Finally, I could make out the sign for the next town. There was the vague shape, and the inevitable Welcome. But making out any words was near impossible due to the pouring rain. I pulled the car over, and unbuckled my seat belt, leaning over the center console to wake Liam.
"Liam. Wake up." I whisper/yelled, shaking him. He was quite the heavy sleeper. Finally, he groaned, opening his eyes.
"I don't know where to go." I said, hoping he wouldn't fall back asleep.
"Oh, yeah. I wanted to decide that when we came to it." He sat up, stretching. I noticed he had some fine muscles.
"I was hoping Italy." I looked up hopefully, "I've got fake passports, and they don't know you..." I trailed off, when Liam got out.
I quickly climbed over the center console, into the passenger seat, so Liam could drive.

"So you know basically my whole like story, and I know just about nothing about you." I pointed out, breaking into the deafening silence.
"Well," he started, "my parents died in a hit and run when I was fifteen. Mistaken identity. I was in foster homes until I turned eighteen." He shrugged, dismissing the subject like it was no big deal.
"Liam, that's horrible." I swallowed thickly. His story brought back images of my father's death.
"Belle, are you okay? You're even paler than usual." He chuckled at his joke.
"Pull over." I managed to choke out.
Before the car even came to a full stop I hopped out, barely stumbling into the bushes before I dropped to my knees. The very little I had in my stomach overflowed, and I was still dry-heaving when Liam approached, with a water bottle in hand.
"Here you should rinse your mouth. When was the last time you ate?" His eyes showed concern, mixed with something I couldn't decipher.
"The plane." I finally admitted, rinsing my mouth.
"Why didn't you say anything?" I shrugged.

To be truthful, I'd been so stressed out that past few days food wasn't even in my mind. Although I did have to stop quite a few times at gas stations.
"We should get going," Liam held out his hand, and the same strange emotion flashed through his eyes. I eyed his hand skeptically, paranoia threading it's way through my mind.
It was pretty convenient that I just happened to come across Liam, and he so easily agreed to help me. For all he knew I could be a crazy cult member, wanting to sacrifice him.
"You're working for my father aren't you!" I blurted, taking a step back.