The Mobster's Daughter: Chapter 11

I stared up at the bald man, my throat sealed closed with fear. The knife in his hand glinted in the sunlight, and I gulped loudly.
"What do you want?" I tried to keep my voice steady, but it wavered slightly, and was quieter than I'd intended it.
The man smirked, enjoying my question.
"Why whatever do you think I want young Belle?" He smiled, no humor at all in the expression.
'I have to fight back.' I thought.
I let my face show undiluted fear, hoping he wouldn't see through my facade.

"W-who are y-y-you?" I stammered, shifting positions to kick the knife out of his hand.
"Geoffrey Marksmen Jr." He held the knife up, the perfect position to bring it down on me.
"Please, " I whispered, "why are you doing this?"
"I'm saving you from yourself you ungrateful brat!" He growled, kneeling in front of me.
I smiled inwardly, he made it so much easier.
As he was crouching beside me, I took it as the perfect opportunity to shoot my foot out, catching him in the side of the head. At the same time I caught the wrist he was holding the knife in and twisted it. He cried out in pain, and I grabbed the knife before he could drop it.
"Get back here!" He growled, when I stood.
I looked at him warily for a moment, then sprang forward hitting him in the temple with the handle of the knife. He fell to the ground, unconscious.

At that moment, Liam stumbled through the bushes, looking angry. His anger quickly ebbed when he saw the unconscious man at my feet.
"Nice of you to show up." I spat, storming past him into the bushes.
"Belle! How the hell was I supposed to know there was two? Plus you ran off." He cried.
As I crashed through the thick foliage, my anger turned to sorrow. My eyes welled up with tears and a loud sob worked it's way out of my mouth.
"Why Daddy why?" I sobbed, collapsing against a tree.
"Belle..." Liam hesitated beside me as I sobbed, all the pent-up emotion flowing out of me in a torrent of tears.
"Belle, we have to go." He whispered, holding his hand out to help me up off the ground. I batted it away, shooting up from my sitting position.
"Who says you get to decide what we do, and when? Maybe I want to stay right here!" I screeched, my hands balling into fists, as I shook with anger.
"You're hysterical." Liam's calm tone was seriously getting on my nerves.
"How can you be so calm? They want to throw me in the dungeon, and take Daddy's territory and money and kill all of our family! People who worked for him are all I have left." I collapsed against Liam, crying again.
"It'll be okay. I don't think they even have a dungeon," he chuckled, patting my back awkwardly.
His experience with sobbing moody girls must have been pretty low.

"I miss my Daddy," I mumbled pathetically.
"Would your dad want you to be sitting here crying instead of getting away like you were supposed to?"
I shook my head, smiling slightly
Liam smiled, nudged me with his elbow. "That's a good girl, now get your money and your passport so we don't miss our flight. I already ditched my bag."

I cursed inwardly at his efficient ways.
Kneeling, I dug around in my bag for my money, ID and passport.
"Ready." I nodded, and stood brushing the dirt from my pants.