The Mobster's Daughter: Chapter 23

I found Lexi sitting on the sofa. She wasn't aware of my presence and for that I was grateful. Because my beautiful dark-haired friend was singing.
It was a horribly sad and haunted tune. One that caused stirrings of feelings deep inside of me that I hadn't felt since my mother had been alive. But it was beautiful none the less.
While she sang on obliviously, I stood in the entryway attempting to push the unwanted feelings away. I'd only just opened my mouth to comment, when a low voice cut me off.
"You've been practicing." Liam complimented casually, almost causing me to jump out of my skin.
Lexi's beautiful tune cut short, and she rounded on us looking shocked.
"How long have you been standing there?" She asked meekly.
I shrugged. "Long enough. Although I don't see how it could possibly matter. You're amazing."

"Yeah. Well." I was completely perplexed by her tone. But more so her nonchalance. She'd never been one to shy away.
Her voice was one that could put any singer to shame. Only a handful of the raw recordings I'd heard had even had the tendency to sound like real music.
I was completely side-tracked as I wondered why she wasn't a performer.

"Belle." Liam's voice snapped me out of my thoughts, and I blatantly realized he'd been talking to me.
I cleared my throat somewhat awkwardly. "Uhm, yes?"
"Were you even listening?" He sighed, seemingly completely over our encounter in the bathroom. Lovely.
I shrugged in response, avoiding his piercing gaze. The flickering light would only cause his eyes to draw you in more. Because lucky us, he'd opted not to wear his contacts.
Rolling his eyes, he began speaking. "While you and Lexi weren't here, I talked to some of your fathers - well, YOUR men. They've located Tony. He's in the next town. Apparently he hasn't left his house for days."
I snorted inwardly. Yeah right.
"Did they actually see him in the house?" I demanded.
He shifted from foot to foot. "Well... they never said exactly -"
"Enough." I cut him off. I'd heard quite enough.
I stalked out of the room leaving Liam looking ashamed, and Lexi looking slightly smug.

I went into the kitchen, making sure to shut and relock the basement door.
Pulling out my recently acquired cell phone, I scanned the list of names and numbers until I came to Jenny's. Jenny was my dad's PA, and the nicest most reliable person I'd ever met. Well just after Jake. I cringed visibly as I remembered how I'd unfairly killed one of my greatest allies.
Ditching that train of thought I clicked her number, tapping my foot impatiently as I waited for the call to connect.
"Hello?" A groggy voice sounded.
"It's Belle." I answered briskly. Jenny immediately perked up.
"Belle honey!" She gasped. "Where have you been?"
"Away." I sighed, not at all liking that particular conversation. "Look, we got rid on Andrew. But Tony's the target now. Think you can track him?" I crossed my fingers behind my back, and prayed to whatever gods were out there that she would be able to find him.
"I certainly can!" She chirped. There was some shuffling and then the sound of typing in the background. I could have hooted in joy.
"Alright." Her tone turned business-like. "I found him. He left a fake tracker in his house, but I found him across town. He's in that old building that used to house addict meetings."
I thanked her and disconnected the call.

Looking around the fairly dusty kitchen, I realized I would have to say good-bye for good. But not until my favorite Carlington was gone.
An excited grin broke across my face and I practically skipped into the living room.
The O'Conner siblings were staring at me as if I'd grown an extra limb and told them they could too.
"Come on!" I sang. "We got some baddies to deal with."