47. Unconditionally

You stared long and hard at the bubbles as you scrubbed your bloodstained forearms and hands

You stared long and hard at the bubbles as you scrubbed your bloodstained forearms and hands. The sun was setting, so the bathroom was awash in a myriad of warm colors, and you couldn't for the life of you stop thinking about Ori and his final moments.

You were so lost in thought that you didn't even notice Azriel come in.

"He's dying!"

You turned to grab a napkin, anything to stop the bleeding, but then Eris was kneeling at your side with a different knife.

Ori seized his arm and brought it closer.

"No, Ori, I'm trying to— Eris, what're you—?"

In one fluid motion, Eris shoved the knife through Ori's jaw.

You grimaced at the memory.

Ori seized his arm and brought it closer.

You scrubbed harder, determined to get rid of Ori's blood before going to bed.

"(Y/n)?"

You were so emotionally exhausted that you didn't even flinch, but black feathers popped out of your cheekbones and temples. You paused to touch them, recalling their first appearance at the House of Wind, and suddenly that dinner felt like a lifetime ago.

You sighed heavily. "What, Az?"

The male in question crossed the room and then put a big ass bowl of steaming hot food on the flat rim of the marble tub.

"You said you were hungry, so . . ." He trailed off and cleared his throat. "It's rice, meat, and vegetables."

To your surprise, a lump of nameless emotion formed in your throat. You had to swallow it before speaking.

"Thank you." You sat on your heels and tried to look Azriel in the eye, but it was damn near impossible from this angle. So when you grabbed your spoon, you added, "If you're going to stay, then sit. Please."

Immediately and silently, Azriel sat with the finesse and poise of a practiced warrior. He was wearing black mid-calf boots, brown breeches, and a silk cream blouse, and Cauldron boil you, he shouldn't have looked so handsome in such an everyday outfit, but he did.

As you started to eat, Azriel leaned back on his hands and said, "I still can't believe you winnowed. And that far."

You gave him a dubious look as you chewed. You'd updated him on everything since you'd arrived, including The Many-Faced, and your winnowing was the least believable?

Azriel chuckled. "What? Everything else makes sense."

A bit annoyed, you stirred your food, stalling, but also looking for the perfect spoonful, and when you finally found the ideal piece of meat, you said, "I begged the Mother to take me back. We've been over this." And then, glowering, you added under your breath, "No doubt she wants something in return."