5- Oak Tree

I sit at the table with Blaise Zabini, it’s the next day and breakfast. I’m just in the middle of eating my bacon sandwich as Nor flies down onto the table with letter in his beak. No way. I grab it from him and pet him gently before he flies away.

“Who’s that from?” Blaise asks, I ignore him completely and open the letter instead.

My beautiful sister, Jasmine.

Hi there hunny. I’m glad you’ve started writing again, yes; it has been a while hasn’t it. And to be honest I should probably apologise for not writing to you as well. So, I got your letter, obviously. I’m fine, doing really well actually. Geoff and I are still together and he says Hi, and he is also fine. Things are busy at the moment, that’s all I can say. We do live in the same house, on the same beach and it’s still just as wonderful as it was when we first moved in.

I would love for you to visit, as I miss and you too. I know you said that mum and dad wouldn’t be happy, but I think you’re old enough to start making some of your own decisions. Remember at your age I ran away from home. So, yes. Come to my house please, for Christmas, I think it would be nice to see each other again. The address is on the back of this letter.

Hope to see you soon, Anastasia. X

P.S- I told you my study sessions worked.

“Oh my god.” I say skimming through the letter a second time just to make sure it is real.

“What?” Blaise asks.

“Ana, it’s Ana. She’s asked me to come for Christmas.”

“You’re sister, you two got back in contact again?” He says.

“Yes, I sent her a letter yesterday saying that I wanted to see her again, and she does too, she just said in this letter.” I gesture towards the letter that’s now down on the table.

“That’s great, Jas. It really is.” Blaise smiles at me, genuinely happy for me.

***

I sit at the table still, alone this time; Blaise has left do other things. The great hall is mainly empty, breakfast has cleared away and there’s 3 people studying on the opposite side of the hall. I hold my letter from Ana in my hand, re reading it and flipping it to read the address again. I’ve never been so happy in my life; honestly I couldn’t feel more elated. The only thing that brings me down slightly is the fact that our parents are going to freak out when they know what’s going on, I feel like going home after this year of school is going to much worse than any other time. But I try my hardest to push that aside and think of the positive.

My sister, I haven’t even seen a picture of her for the last 4 years, nor has she of me. I wonder if she looks different, if she has her piercings in, if her hair is still tightly curled. I’ve changed; I know I have, so I wonder if my look will shock her. She hasn’t seen me since I was 12, god this is crazy.

All of my deep thinking has distracted me from normal life; I’m pulled back into reality when a familiar voice is talking to me from the opposite side of the table.

“Jasmine?” He repeats.

“Oh, hey, Draco.”

“Okay, so this is probably going to sound really weird but I’m taking you on a walk.”

“What?” I ask, confused by what’s going on.

“A walk, I haven’t got anything to do today so I’ve decided I’m going to hang out with you, so we’re going on a walk.” He nods and stands up.