ONE.

I rub my temples, a failed attempt at squashing this growing headache that has been threatening to disable me for almost an hour now

I hate these meetings.

I hate the angry voices, the tension that hangs thickly in the air like smoke in a seedy bar and I especially hate the way I am underestimated in a room full of outsiders.

The Lonely Female Ancient, they call me--a title given to me after Theron's passing.

I loathe it as well.

I have been with Marius, DeLoren and Kai almost every day now since the happenings at Superlunar. We live together, eat together and work together and not one of them questions my power.

Not one of them would dare disrespect me.

But in these meetings and court proceedings--in this fucked up oligarchy we were forced to adopt after the disbursement of the council--many other beings are allowed inside. Werewolves, lycans and every other supernatural on the planet can voice their opinions, air their grievances and disregard me as if I am nothing but a gnat buzzing around their face.

To them, I am Theron's widow, nothing more and nothing less.

To them, I have inherited this position from my dead mate... nothing more and nothing less.

And I hate that too.

Marius jumps up from his seat, slamming his hands on the table and  ripping me from my wandering thoughts. "If you will not pass judgement on this issue then we will, Mavina," he seethes. 

Mavina snickers, her dark lips pull back in a polite, yet overly fake smile. She stands at the podium in the middle of this large horseshoe shaped table and flicks her long red hair over her shoulder, "You have no authority over witches, dog."

"Technically," Anthony interjects, with a raised index finger, "The Treaty of Dravenha states that groups of different supernatural origins cannot intervene with the punishments, by-laws and ongoings of any other group but their own, excluding cases where one or more members of any one group bring about harm or wickedness to any other group."

Good ole Anthony... smart in all the wrong times. 

Social cues aren't really his forte.

I lay my hand on his thigh and shake my head. Mavina knows the laws, they are as old as the Originals who created them. It is a Treaty meant to keep peace within the differing species of supernaturals and the first thing she would have had to study in order to be given the title she has.