FIVE.

We walk for miles down the inhospitable highway

We walk for miles down the inhospitable highway. Snow clouds are slowly replacing the dying light and Bug is starting to shiver.

She whines that she's tired and her feet hurt. She cries that she is cold and she's hungry and her head aches and her eyes burn and her life sucks and I wince every time her high pitched childish voice pierces my sensitive fucking ears and I can't help but wonder why people take a liking to kids.

Aggravating little boogers.

So when this shitty road finally splits into an overpass, I can't wait to exit this hellish ride. My sights immediately land on a truck stop and I thank my lucky stars that Destiny has finally cut me a break.

The building glows like a mirage, the lights permeating through the fog that has rolled in with the setting sun. Theres a hole in the wall restaurant on one side, it smells of grease and dirty toilets while the other side hosts a strip club for the lonely and those needing a stiff drink (pun abso-fucking-lutely intended).

And while the possibility of a congregation of testosterone filled good ole boys should concern me traveling with a young girl, I am not the least bit scared.

I have to piss.

We are hit with a blast of warm air and the pungent smell of savory food as we cross the threshold. My stomach reacts accordingly with a loud rumble and I am now wishing I had caught a second rabbit. Bug must feel the same as she shoots me a look of sad desperation and my heart aches for the little brat. 

"I'll handle it," I cryptically promised her with a low murmur. Our scraggly, stinky looks will have already alerted the staff to watch us closely so I dare not draw more attention by loudly swearing to steal her food and necessities... a coat is going to be complicated enough to jack. My only saving grace might be the time of day as the gas station is bustling to the brim with rush hour customers.

Before we split off to our appropriate destinations, I snatch two bags of chips from the aisle display, tossing her one without missing a step or slowing my pace. It's definitely not the healthiest of options but it will have to do for now.

***

"I can't believe ya fuckin' did that!" Bug waves her hands around animatedly, shoving a piece of beef jerky into her tiny mouth. 

Her excitement is tangible. 

Her language is just as foul but I'm too busy peeking around the corner to scold her. 

"That guy was like, 'Sir, you gotta pay for that,'" she deepens her voice, replaying what I already know happened.