chapter fourteen: i want you

I WANT YOU and I'll always get you, right? 

So when I say I'll take you home, I will.

"Rindou, what the fuck are you doing?" I asked through the earpiece, hearing his heavy breathing and how hard of a time he was having.

With a scoff, he replied, "this isn't a childish gang, they're up here-- they found me," I heard him huff before more gunshots came, "I'll handle this and I'll be back."

Ran was busy, already having men on his hands, him and his team working to get everyone killed. Black Molasses was going for me, it wasn't the first time someone wanted revenge on me, wished death upon me – but this one was a thrill, nothing that any enemies from before made me feel.

I left you behind me, fighting for my life as men attacked me, no guns-- just knives. They brought no guns, what a surprise. 

I knew Kokonoi and Kakucho were doing their part, fighting side by side as they did. This was my part, and getting you home was my goal, then I'll marry you, remember? The mark on our fingers should remind you of our promises, don't let our ending song play while we're still fighting.

Fighting has never felt so tiring. Every time I shoot, more targets come into view, leaving me no time to focus on you. One came straight at me, my hand catching their wrist as I threw them on the floor, shooting them with no time wasted. 

Almost-- we are so close.

To my surprise, a gun behind me was shot, killing a man that was coming at me with an ax. "I'll help," you smiled at me, "I got your back, Haruchiyo," there it was, the sound of your laugh as you broke the tension I had on my shoulders. "Keep going, I'll fight with you," you mumbled, even with your hands tied, you shot my enemies like they were yours.

A bomb went off, "shit," it was Ran's voice, "my fucking god, half of my team is fighting and the other half is defusing bombs," he declared through the bluetooth earpiece. "Brother, hurry up," he had a stern order, the struggle could be heard from his tone.

I've never hated red so much, the way it covered the mansion's cement floor was disturbing – the way you were covered in red was making me lose myself, you'll lead me back, right?

We're almost there, Kokonoi and Kakucho fighting for their side while we made a team of you and I, guns in our hands as we took the lives of others. 

In this moment, you became half of me, proving your loyalty and strength as you fought from behind me, guarding my back even when I turned it against you. 

Will you ever forgive me for this?

I promise, after this, I won't let you get hurt.

Out of breath, I smiled in success, seeing men get shooted down by my team of snipers. Rindou Haitani and his team are now guarding me, "stop fighting," I turned to you, "Rindou's got this."

Another bomb went off, I could smell fire. You laughed, "well-- I gotta thank Rindou for that," you smiled at me. Blood on your lips, purple bruises on your arms, yet you smiled at me like I never caused you to be in red.

Ran Haitani fought for his side, pushing and shooting men while pulling wires to stop bombs from exploding then planting his own. Kokonoi has files of information in his hand while holding a gun with the other. Kakucho and his team guarded Kokonoi with his part, using his fist and a knife with the letter I.K carved into the handle. 

I won by holding a gun to the enemy, pulling the triggers and blocking them with the hand that contained a cigarette burn on a finger. 

Almost-- I'm so close to taking you home.

If only I wasn't pulled by my hair and into a group of men with knives in their hands, "Haruchiyo!" I could hear your call for my name as I looked up from the floor, pointing my gun at the men, only for no bullet to be shot. 

Fuck.

I sat up, immediately dragging my leg to bring some men down, kicking their legs to make them drop to the floor. Finally standing up, my back was against you, "Rindou," I called out. Grabbing the gun strapped to my thigh, I was only halfway through cutting those ropes off of your hands, "where the fuck are you now?"

Seven gunshots in total, I fired seven times to get back to looking at you. Why did they only have knives? It was a strange weapon of choice knowing that Bonten would be on their tail-- it was almost like suicide for their team.

"I'll take you home," I promised, getting a rope undone, only to see more layers on your wrists, "then I'll marry you, I have the ring," I breathed out. My chest rising and falling at a quick pace as I hurriedly tried to cut off those ropes-- am I forgetting something? "We'll get married, you'll be my wife, right?"

Again, you smiled, chewing on your lips before swallowing, "marriage?" you asked, pulling your hand away from me, only to cup my face with your bruised and tied hands. 

"Please--" I breathed out, my voice breaking, "marry me."

Nodding, you cleared your throat, "I, (Last Name) (Name), take you, Sanzu Haruchiyo as my beloved husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; until death do us part." you breathed in, "are you happy?"

"Of course, I am."

"You're half of me now," I mumbled, seeing you nod, shoving me away, strong enough to push me on the floor.

We had it-- almost.

I could finally see all of you, you still wore the clothes you had on before I left the apartment, your hair still messy. Your bruised legs disappeared first, the smoke covering your body, the loud booming of the bomb covering up the words you whispered, "I want you," was what you worded with your bloody lips.

Don't go, breathe. Please breathe.

And your upper body disappeared. Moments ago, we almost had it, the bomb had exploded.

Almost-- we almost made it home.

━━━━ ━ wc:
1,075

a/n ━━━━ ━
how are we feeling?