(2) The Truth

••●══════••●۩۞۩●••══════●••

Breathe. Draw back. Release. Bam!

The sound of the knife hitting the wooden board at the other end of the training bay was like music to my ears. The events of yesterday played through my mind like a movie as I went to retrieve my knives from the target, four in the chest and one on the head, not too shabby. The door to the training bay slid open with the last person I wanted to see at the moment, Skye Mitchell.

My best friend since third grade. How was I going to tell her what went down with her father yesterday?

I wouldn't. No, I couldn't. I don't want her to know I was picked over her.

Even though I turned it down.

She let out a low whistle from behind me. Something we had started doing when we were kids when we couldn't find each other but had now turned into a weird way of communication between us. Right now, she was using it to let me know she's there and as a hello.

"I'll bet you ten bucks if I make a bullseye with this next knife," I laughed, finally turning to look at her and trying to keep the conversation away from Operation Lightspeed.

"You've been an expert at knife throwing since you were thirteen years old, I'm not committing to a bet where I already know I'll lose," she rolled her eyes.

"It was worth a shot," I laughed, "Did you not have your morning coffee?"

"No," Skye sighed.

"I can tell," I said, turning to the target and hitting it dead center.

"My father held a meeting this morning. I was just dismissed," She said.

"Why so early?"

"He wanted to introduce the new Power Rangers to me," Skye said.

"Miss Fairweather mentioned something about them to me last night." I said, lining up for another bullseye, "She said we'd be focusing more on effectively creating weapons that will have impactful use against the demons."

"Want to hear the part that felt like a slap in the face though?"

"Sure," I shrugged, wiping sweat off my forehead.

"I was promoted to the Chief Medical Officer position."

I turned to look at her with fake shock, "Why does that feel like a slap in the face?"

"I only got the position because my little sister is now the Pink Power Ranger."

"Dana is the Pink Ranger?" I said, this time with genuine shock. How could he do that to Skye?

"That's," I searched my head searching for something that didn't involve profanity while I walked back to the board to collect my blades, "different."

Skye sighed, "I don't understand why she was chosen."

"I'm sure Captain Mitchell must have had his reasons," I said. Skye held the sleeves open for me so I could slide the knives back into their place.

"There's nothing special about her - she's no different than I am, other than she was the Chief Medical Officer..."

"A position she only got because you weren't ready for it when it was offered to you first." I reminded her, "You are rightfully in the best position you could be. Plus, do you really think you could be a ranger? You can't even kill a spider on your own... let alone fight a monster."

"You're supposed to sympathize with me being upset over my little sister becoming a ranger instead of me, not making sense," she groaned, causing me to laugh loudly. She handed me the case of knives.