(20) Stories

••●══════••●۩۞۩●••══════●••

I slipped out of Lightspeed before anyone woke up the next morning. As the sun came up over the horizon I left the Aquabase, pulling my sweatshirt up over my head as I made my way to the park for a run. I hadn't gotten the chance to do my own training in a while, especially after my concussion Skye never let me do anything that could make my recovery relapse. I appreciated it, but at the same time I just wanted to run so I could clear my head.

My feet hit the ground rhythmically as I took off down the trail. The cool morning air was so refreshing. The trail took me through the woods of the park and then out to the city square. It was a serene morning. People were leaving for work, children for school, and shops were opening for the morning shift. Maybe I could get a coffee to take back to base. Something other than plain black roast would be amazing.

I stopped near the center to take a break and check my com. Nothing. I guess not even Miss Fairweather was up yet.

People bustled around me as I sat to catch my breath. It really was almost a perfect morning.

Until the blasts started going off.

I rushed towards the sound, hearing people scream as others rushed past me. Another blast went off, I heard the sound of children crying. I turned the corner. There stood a monster laughing maniacally as he sent blasts towards building after building. A group of school kids had fallen to the ground in fear.

"Go!" I yelled, helping one to their feet, "Get out of here!"

They scrambled to pick up backpacks and books they had dropped in the chaos. I pulled my blaster and began returning fire to the monster.

"Ugh, a Lightspeed rat!" the monster yelled, I fired hitting it right in the chest before ducking behind a concrete flower box to hide.

Another blast hit the corner sending chunks of rock everywhere.

"Give up," it sneered.

"Never!" I yelled, "You don't have what it takes." Boy oh boy do I wish the Rangers were here. They had to be on their way, right?

"Oh is that what you think? You're not even a ranger! Well, let's see if this changes your mind!"

I took my chance and jumped back to my feet, I began firing, hitting the monster each time as it roared and disappeared.

As he disappeared the roaring grew louder, more high pitched. I covered my ears. I felt myself drop to the ground.

●۩۞۩●

"Nova?"

I slowly uncovered my ears.

"Nova are you okay?" a man was looking down at me, he was extremely handsome in a sleek silver suit.

"Who's Nova?" The rest of the people around me stood in different colored suits. I looked around to try and find something familiar, "Where am I?"

The one in silver looked at me terrified. The one in pink grabbed some sort of scanner and began sweeping the area where the monster had left. Wait... a monster? Another girl, one that wasn't in a suit, rushed up to me and started connecting wires to my face, "Of course you had to be at the right place at the right time to take on a monster by yourself. You're absolutely insane Nova."

I looked at her cautiously, slapping her hand away as she tried to push hair out of my face to connect another wire, "Who are you?"

"What are you talking about?" the girl said, "It's me... Skye?"