(6) Cake

••●══════••●۩۞۩●••══════●••

Miss Fairweather knew it was a no-brainer of who I would choose to be the test subject for Project Titanium.

Most would be surprised I didn't volunteer myself, but I know that's almost impossible because if things went wrong Miss Fairweather and I both needed to be there to shut the project down.

I'm not sure if she saw it coming, but the next day I gave Skye the exact folder her father gave me.

She thought I was crazy. After some convincing though she agreed to at least try.

It was hard seeing her hooked up to all those wires, if this went terrible then I knew it would all be my fault. The scene in front of me, with Skye hooked up to various wires and monitors, brought back a memory I knew Miss Fairweather and I shared. A terrible feeling settled in my stomach that I had to just deal with.

"Ready?" Miss Fairweather asked me.

Skye gave me a quick nod.

"Ready," I said. Miss Fairweather gave me a long look of confirmation. When I nodded firmly we readied our emergency shut off keys. I heard Dana let out a shaky breath behind me, I knew the rangers would be there. Especially Carter.

"Titanium power!" Skye said.

With a click of a button power surged through her. I knew she would try to push through it even if she was in pain, because as soon as she fell to her knees I called out.

"Stop it!"

Miss Fairweather and I both turned our keys, the power shutting off immediately as Skye crashed to the ground. I burst through the door as fast as I could with the Rangers right behind me.

Flames, bright red hot flames. I shook my head to get rid of the memory. Skye was okay, I turned it off before it got too far. I knew what that pain felt like. Jeez, did I really just do that to my best friend?

"Are you okay?" Carter asked.

"We've got you," My hand was on her other shoulder, "Maybe this test wasn't a good idea."

"Yeah, I'm okay..." Skye groaned.

I began unhooking all the monitors, asking her the checkup questions but her eyes stared right at the ground the whole time.

"Any dizziness? Nausea? Skye, can you hear me?"

"I'm fine."

I frowned at her tone. I knew she was upset that the morpher rejected her, but there was nothing else that could be done. I wasn't going to let her keep going, we would need a new test subject. I took a deep breath, looked at her shoulder carefully and ripped the morpher off her wrist. Miss Fairweather and the Captain both shut themselves in the office, which couldn't have been a good sign.

"Hey, why don't we go start on the cake?"

●۩۞۩●

Two hours and an almost burnt cake later, the three of us, Dana, Skye and I, stood outside of Captain Mitchell's office right before Midnight.

Dana knocked lightly on the door before the three of us entered the room.

"Come in!" 

"It's us." Dana smiled as the three of us walked in with the cake.

"Girls, it's almost midnight... I can't believe you remembered," he smiled.

"Well, I was too young to remember much about Ryan, but I do know that he would have been twenty today too," Dana said.