(15) The Ceremony

••●══════••●۩۞۩●••══════●••

"Of course the only concussion I've ever gotten in my life happened while surfing," I grumbled.

"What do you mean?" Skye said, taking a bite out of her sandwich. She had taken a lunch break and came to sit with me in my room until I got discharged.

"Just the fact I'm certified hand to hand combat and weapons trainer. I've been in many many fights and never once got hit in the head hard enough with anything to get a concussion."

Skye finished her sandwich and tossed it into the bin.

"At least you're feeling better," she said.

I sighed, "When will I get discharged?"

"I think we can discharge you after lunch," Skye said.

"Great, I can't wait to get these machines off of me. I feel like a science project."

"You know, you picked the worst time to get a concussion though," Skye laughed.

"Sorry that I got a concussion?" I furrowed my brow.

"Carter was about to kiss me when my brother carried you in!" Skye slapped my arm.

"Oh sorry, next time let me schedule my concussion around the himbo finally making his move."I roll my eyes, sitting up and smirking at her. "But explain!"

"I was sitting in his lap and we were just talking - and, and..." She trailed off smiling like a love sick puppy, "And he was totally about to lean in!"

"Excuse me what?" Ryan popped his head into the room, "Who was about to do what to my sister?"

"Oh shut up." Skye crossed her arms, "Don't even go there with me Ry, you're dating my best friend so shut up!"

"I'm going to have a talk with Carter." Ryan walked over and grabbed my hand.

Skye scoffed, "Nobody is afraid of you, you big dummy."

I slapped his arm, "Leave the two of them alone."

"Thank you. Just for that, I'm letting you go early." Skye started unhooking me from all the machines, pushing her brother out of the way in the process.

When I was unhooked from everything, Skye gave me a small hug and a low whistle before letting Ryan walk me back to my room.

●۩۞۩●

It was great to get back into my uniform with my hair braided back. I immediately headed to the lab when I got a com from Miss Fairweather asking me to check something for her.

"What is it?" I asked, taking a seat at the scanners.

"Run this test for me," she said, "I'm sure I'm just paranoid, but I want someone else to confirm this."

I stared at the screen as it ran the code, the beep indicated it got the results and my eyes paned over the words quickly.

"We have to call the Rangers," I said.

"Carter and Joel are out on patrol-"

"Get them, get everyone here as soon as you can."

The Rangers filed into the room group by group. I sat, still running various tests on the astronomical anomalies I was seeing.

"What's going on out there?" Carter said, the Rangers all crowded around me and Miss Fairweather as we typed away on the keypads.

"The planets are falling into a very strange alignment," Miss Fairweather said.