(14) Sparring and Surfing

••●══════••●۩۞۩●••══════●••

This morning came with a nice sight to see.

It was pretty common to see Skye taking naps. I've seen her fall asleep in the car, on her office desk, one time she fell asleep against me in a meeting even though we were standing up.

But that was normally around her family, or me obviously. So seeing her fast asleep against Carter when I walked into the Galley for breakfast wasn't shocking, but maybe a pleasant surprise.

"So," I said, sitting my coffee down at the table Carter and Skye sat at, "When's the wedding?"

Carter's face went red, "What?"

I laughed, trying to keep the noise down, "Joking. Just joking. But seriously, when are you gonna ask her to be your girlfriend?"

"Is she... not already?"

I groaned, "Um, how many dates have you been on?"

"One... I think..."

"And have you asked her?" I said, taking a long sip of coffee.

"Well, no," he said.

"Then you better get to it," I said, standing up, "Oh, don't let her nap longer than twenty minutes. She gets cranky. But also don't wake her up before fifteen or else she gets mega cranky."

Carter nodded, "Good to know."

●۩۞۩●

Block. Swing. Parry. Twirl. Leg sweep.

Within seconds Ryan had been knocked to the ground.

"Ow," he groaned, rubbing his backside, "I forget you go hard even when sparring."

I laughed before stretching my arm out to help him up, "Sorry, gotta make sure you're ready for anything."

"Anything?" He said.

"Well, yeah."

"Is a monster going to attack me with a sword?"

I rolled my eyes, "Maybe, besides it makes your reaction times quicker so you can respond to anything sent your way."

He walked over, pulling my case of knives out and examining each one.

"Don't break them," I said, grabbing his practice sword and placing them back on the racks.

"How do you even throw these?" He said.

I walked over to pluck one out of its sleeve and began demonstrating, "Back over your shoulder, hold it loosely on the blade, when it reaches," I extend my arm in front of me still holding the blade, "Here, release and make sure to follow through."

"Can't be too hard right?" He said. He pulled it back behind his head, I knew as soon as he released that it was too early and it sent the blade spinning off to the right side of the board.

I laughed slightly as it bounced right off the wall.

"Oh, guess not that easy," he shrugged.

"You released too early," I said.

"Maybe I should stick to blasters and swords," he said.

I chuckled, "Every skill comes with practice."

"Yours didn't, seems like you came out of the womb just knowing."

"Well," I sighed, "Growing up in Lightspeed the daughter of a weapons trainer means you kind of have to. Especially after my mom left it's like it was a distraction for the both of us."