(16) Flowers

••●══════••●۩۞۩●••══════●••

I'm not even sure how many days Ryan had been gone. The effect of it was apparent on both mine and Skyes faces, bags under our eyes from getting so little sleep, hair a mess from throwing ourselves into our work, and sometimes if you looked very closely you could see something deep in our eyes. Something empty, like it had been ripped away. Every night after I got ready for bed I returned to Ryan's room, at this point the smell had faded making the room feel even more empty than before. I heard someone sit down outside the door every night. Presumably my best friend. Neither of us mentioned it, becoming a silent secret between us.

I finally managed to sleep in my room one night, staring at the picture of us as children that sat on my nightstand. Dana, Skye, me, and Ryan, all standing smiling widely at the camera. The worst part of him being gone came with a tiny envelope taped to everyone's door one morning.

Saturday, 8:00. The annual Lightspeed ball will proceed as usual.

I'm not sure why this brought tears to my eyes. I hadn't even thought about the dance all year which was understandable considering the amount of attacks that had taken place just this week alone. Maybe it was because my thoughts immediately jumped to wishing Ryan was here so we could attend the dance together. Everyone knew Carter was going to ask Skye, it was only a matter of when.

I wiped the thoughts from my mind as I saw Skye open her invitation as well. I let out a low whistle and we both smiled at each other.

A wild plan was forming in my mind that involved my best friend and a certain red ranger attending the ball together. The only problem was the red ranger was such a himbo I knew he would not ask her in the elaborate way I knew that Skye would secretly want.

Her high whistle back prompted me to approach her and unravel the invitation for us to read it aloud together, "Captain Mitchell and his trusted committee of team members here by formally invite you to attend the twentieth annual Lightspeed Ball held at the Mariner Bay Botanical Garden Indoor Center."

"Our favorite time of the year," I smiled, "We'll have to go dress shopping this weekend."

"Of course," Skye smiled, "I'm feeling... red this year."

"Not surprising." I giggled.

"What are you two laughing about?" Carter almost seemed to pop out of nowhere.

"Check the invitation on your door!" Skye told him.

"What's it for?" he wondered, looking over Skye's shoulder at the one in her hand.

"Every year Captain Mitchell hosts a ball. Invitations were just sent out for this year." I explained.

"A ball? As in a dance?" he wondered.

"Yup. Nova and I look forward to it every year." Skye smiled. It was something we had been attending since we were kids.

"Sounds fun," he nodded.

"I'll see you guys later," Skye said, folding the invitation back up, "I need to go into Mariner Bay today."

"Will you be here for dinner?" Nova asked. I had been worrying about her since Ryan left but the feelings were just too much to try and talk about. She needed to clear her head but it didn't stop me from worrying about what's going on in there.

"I'll let you know." Skye gave us a small smile, pushing her bedroom door open and taking a step forward.

"Call me if you need anything. Miss Fairweather and I are going to test some new weapons today." I smiled.