Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Faith's POV

Izzy kicked the door open of Sebastian's apartment, letting Clary, Jace, and I enter with blades ready. A figure sits in a chair, his back to us.

"Turn around and face us," Jace orders.

"Where's Valentine?" Izzy asked in anger.

Nothing, no movement, no words, nothing. Izzy reaches out, turning the chair around and revealing the real Sebastian with black eyes and lips, dead.

"What happened to him?" I asked in shock as all of us lowering our blades.

"Did Valentine kill him?" Clary asked?

Izzy looked him over, "He's been dead for days by the looks of it."

"Tortured first. This was the real Sebastian Verlac," Jace says and closes the real Sebastian's eyes, "Ave atque vale."

"Hail and farewell," We all say.

Suddenly, Sebastian's body starts to shake and a growl leaves his lips. I grab Jace's arm and pull him back just as Sebastian wakes up, turning into a demon. He jumps out of the chair and onto the wall, hissing at us.

We all pull out our weapons as Jace says, "It's a possessing demon."

Izzy uses her whip to pull the demon down, causing him to land on the ground with a thud. Jace uses that moment and pierces the demon with his blade. Sebastian shakes before bursting into a fire that shrinks to ash.

"We'll make 'em pay for what they did to you," Izzy says.

"We're going to make them pay for everything," Clary said.

The four of us head back to Institute, meeting with Alec in his office. He calls up Imogen on the phone, putting her on speaker as he fills her in.

"A possessing demon wouldn't have done this on its own. The trap could only have been set using the Mortal Cup to command it."

"So he had it all along," Imogen said with a heavy sigh.

"And our Intel shows he's also in possession of the Mortal Sword."

"Do you have any good news for me today, Mr. Lightwood?"

"Valentine and Jonathan believe that the New York Institute is in possession of the Mortal Mirror. They won't leave the city without it."

"Thank the Angel that at least he wasn't able to find that."

"But we were. Faith?" Alec says and looks at me.

I speak up, looking at the phone as if I'm looking at Imogen. "The gift the Angel gave to me, to see the future, also lets me see things in a different light. The Mirror is in Idris. It's Lake Lyn."

Imogen sounds surprised, "That's the very same water that Raziel first rose from. Who else knows about this?"

Jace sighs, crossing his arms, "Unfortunately, the number of people we can trust is getting smaller by the day. We thought it'd be best to tell you first. And we'd like to officially request soldiers from the Gard to be placed in the surrounding woods around the lake."

"It may only be a matter of time before Valentine realizes he's been had," Clary adds.

Imogen paused, "I'll speak to Consul Malachi about deployment at once. Good hunting." She hangs up, ending the call.

Jace looks at everyone, "So, what do we do now?"

"There's only nine million people in the metro area. How hard could it be to find two?" Clary says sarcastically.