Chapter 18

Faith's Dress

Faith's Dress

Chapter 18

Silence, sometimes it was the best thing you could ask for or the thing to dread the most. Right now, it was a mixture of both as I stared at my unconscious, floating mother. My body leaned against the entry way of the medical room, my arms crossed as I just stared at her.

Luke found his way next to me, looking over at Jocelyn before looking at me.

"You know I haven't said anything to her. In fact, I think this might be the closest I've gotten to her," I said, still not right next to her like Clary was in seconds.

Nodding, Luke commented, "You have a lot on your mind."

I paused, unsure if he was right about this one. I mean, I defiantly did, but was that the reason why I couldn't approach her?

"In the other dimension, I saw her. I thought I'd get angry, yell at her, hit her even. But the second I saw her, it all just sunk away and all I wanted to do was hug her. Now, I see her laying here, and I don't feel that way. I want to yell at her. I want ask why she did what she did." I paused, my head and eyes looking to Luke, my dad, for help. "Will that go away?"

A small sigh left Luke's lips as he nodded slowly, "In time, it will. Who knows, when Jocelyn wakes up, you might feel differently."

My eyes look towards the ground as I nod, hoping he's right before I look back at my mother.

"I gotta get back to the station. Call me if anything changes?"

"Yeah," I say with a mumble.

Luke stared at me, as if making sure I was okay before he turned. He took only one step before he looked back over at me. One of his hands laid across my front, leaning me close to him as he lightly kissed the top of my head.

The action was soothing, comforting, but it vanished when Luke did.

My mind, like Luke said, was cluttered with things. I couldn't sleep last night, and not because of nightmares. Not this time at least. Jace won't talk to me, causing this empty pit in my stomach. Clary was too worried about our mother to even notice the distance in Jace and me.

In fact, I wasn't even sure she caught on to how distant I was with our mother.

I needed to work out.

Returning to my room, I texted Jace, letting him know my plan and to meet me in five if he wanted too. I changed and entered the fight room. No one was there, returning my ears to silence.

I punched a punching bag for a little bit. I practiced with my blade. Nothing worked to its full extent and Jace never showed up.

"Faith," A women said, entering the fight room. I turned to her, recognizing her as a fellow Shadowhunter that lived in the Institute as well. "Magnus has arrived. Jace and Clary are meeting him in the computer room."