Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Jace leads me, Clary, and Simon over to one of the 3D computers, pulling up the entrance of the church outside. He zooms in and out, seeming to rewind time on it as he searches for something.

"What the hell... How do you..." Simon said behind me and Jace. Neither sentence finished, his mouth still dropped in shock at the place around him.

Seeming to grow annoyed with Simon, like I have many times before, Jace looked towards my sister. "Clary, could you please explain to your friend what is going on here so I don't have too."

Clary, lightly glaring at Jace, took Simon's arm and lead him a few steps away from us. "Come on, Simon," She said, causing Simon to follow her.

Jace returned to the computer, mumbling one word, "Mundanes."

Ignoring Clary's words to Simon, I stuck to the air around Jace and I. Hoping to try and justify Simon's reaction, I spoke up. "He's just confused... so is Clary," I say, comping to realize how all of this was just thrown onto Clary too.

Jace gave me a quick glance before pushing some buttons on the computer. He scuffed lightly, a smile forming on his face as he asked, "And you're not?"

I answered honestly, my eyes staying on the computer screen before me. As I spoke, Jace's eyes seemed to move to me, absorbing my answer. "I don't know. For years, I wrote stories like this. My mom always freaked out when I shared them with her. I guess all of this is just... someone telling me I'm not crazy."

There was a pause before Jace spoke up next to me, "You're not crazy." I turned my head, seeming to catch myself in another starring match with him.

Once again, Clary joined us, only this time with Simon. Their presence caused me to focus back on the computer, Jace doing the same. A pair of police officers stood outside the church doors, knocking on them. "NYPD!" They called, but inside we couldn't hear a sound.

"Won't they find us?" Clary asked worriedly. Like our deep secret that we've only just heard about a mere hour ago would be seen.

Jace reassure both my sister and I, "No. Our wards will deter them. And the NYPD will do their typical Mundie thing for a few hours and then the area will be clear."

As if sensing Jace's words, Alec walked in out of nowhere, returning to his irritated and over protective ways. "What is going on? Why is there a mundane in the Institute?"

Jace and the small group turned to Alex while Jace spoke up. "I think a Circle member followed him to get to Clary and Faith." His eyes move back to me, "Probable one that took your mother."

It made sense now. That must have been what Jace saw behind Simon.

"Is that what you saw?" I asked him, as if needing a reassured yes or no. I didn't get one for Simon interrupted Jace, asking his own question.

"What exactly is a Circle member and why are they trying to kill us?"

Jace turned to Simon, his arms crossing as he feeded us with information. "All we know is a long time ago the Circle led a revolt. A lot of Shadowhunters got killed... including my father."

My heart broke at hearing Jace's words. I knew what it was like to lose your dad.

Alec though, didn't give Jace's words a second thought, as if he'd heard them before. "And since the revolt we've been forbidden to even hear about the Circle."

I looked at Alec with pulled eyes, "But, how is that even possible? It's your history."

"Says the girl who didn't know she was a Shadowhunter?" Jace said, cracking a small smile in the process.