Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Jace's POV

The sound of the faint water under the dock was what filled my ears as I stepped around the tons of dead bodies that scattered the deck. All of these people, died because their bodies didn't agree with the Shadowhunter gene.

Valentine did this. I did this.

My heart aches at the sight, but hurts even worst at the thought of Faith's face when I left. I finally said it, I said I loved her only to walk away from her.

I promised myself I would never hurt her, yet I did something worst then hurt her. I ruined her, I left her. But I had too. Valentine would continuously go after her if I didn't go with him. And to think how close he was to touching our ruin mark, how close he was to burning that off, seemed to send me in a spiral.

Part of me hoped that she would find it in her heart to forgive me. The other part hoped she wouldn't. I deserved this pain in my body and chest. I chose this and I deserved it.

"Jace."

My head lifted up, turning with my body at her voice. I could have sworn I was going mad as I met Faith's eye. She took a couple of steps towards me, smiling as she seemed to reach relief at the sight of me.

"Faith?" I breathed out. Before I could process the guards standing around the deck, or the bodies around me, I seemed to meet her steps and wrap my arms around her. Bringing her closer to me, I breathed in her lavender sent and closed my eyes.

We both seemed to let out a breath that we didn't know we were holding.

When I pulled away from her, my hands on her arms, I could feel the electricity shoot through my body. This was her, this had to be her. But that only lifted a question to my mind.

"Faith, how did you get here?"

"Our Connection, I was able to connect our minds. There's a portal. We have to go though, we don't have much time."

I paused for a second, shaking my head as I dropped my arms, "I can't."

Faith's eyes pulled together in confusion, "What?"

Lightly taking her arm and taking a few steps back towards the direction she came from, I started to lead her away. "Look, we got to get you out of here."

Ripping her arm from me, Faith looked at me confused, worried, and shocked. "No, I'm not leaving without you."

My eyes landed on her, only to move past her to one of the guard that were running towards us. I quickly push Faith aside as the guard tries to land a blow on us. I grab his arm, stopping him and pushing the blade into his stomach, killing him. I take the man's sword, gripping it in my fist as I take a couple of steps back to land me next to Faith.

Looking to our right, I notice Valentine walking towards us with three men behind him. A smile is on Valentine's face as he looks at Faith. "My dearest Faith."

Reacting to his words, I hold out my arm across her, pushing her behind me protectively. Valentine see's this, but continuous on making his way towards us and speaking. "You are tenacious, aren't you?"

I point my sword towards him, causing him to stop as I say, "Stay back." He smirks before pulling out his own sword. Both of the swords light up like our blades would, seeming to push us towards each other in a fight.

Valentine and I seem to be evenly matched, both seeming to get blows into each other while also blocking the sever ones. It isn't until Valentine swings his blade that I get a chance. I duck, pushing my sword into his stomach and killing him.