Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Faith

Jace and I had packed up our things, which contained just a few boxes, and moved into my mom's old place. It was still trashed so it took us about two-three days to get it looking like normal again and ordered some new furniture for it.

By now, we had gotten the new furniture in and still half the boxes we had weren't unpacked.

That didn't stop us from wasting time in the bedroom. But, just when things are getting good, a knock at the door ruins it and a groan leaves Jace and I's lips.

Quickly, Jace threw on his underwear while I slipped on some pants and one of Jace's shirt. Jace moves to the front door to answer the continuous knocking while I stand off to the side, watching to see who it is.

The second the door opened, Jace's voice is confused, "Alec?"

Alec barges in, not even noticing me as he looks at Jace. "We have orders. Let's go."

Jace lets out a sigh, still holding the door open and leaning on it. "I'm a little busy at the moment."

"This is your solution? Hiding out?" Alec asks, gesturing towards the place we're living in.

Giving him a fake smile, Jace says, "I wouldn't exactly call this hiding."

"We have obligations."

"Obligations? Aldertree wanted me gone and I'm gone," Jace shrugged.

Alec's eyes went wide and shrugged, "So you got demoted. So what? You'll work your way back up."

Sighing as he shook his head, Jace glanced off, "You don't understand."

"Then tell me. Whatever it is, it can't be that bad." Jace grows silent and glances over at me, causing Alec to notice me. Immediately, he looks at me, hoping I can win Jace over. "So you're just gonna turn your back on us? On Isabelle? Clary?"

Crossing my arms as I lean on the wall, I lift my chin a little as I speak. "If Clary needed me, she'd talk to me. And she doesn't seem to be doing much of that right now."

"She's still your sister, Faith," Alec said, causing me to lower my head and look at the ground. Right now, I'm not so sure she wants to be my sister.

Seeing the tension in the sentence, Jace sighs and looks at Alec. "You know, you should go. We don't want you getting benched, too."

Alec, shocked with a gapped mouth, looked between Jace and me before closing his mouth in anger. "This isn't you. Either of you." With that, he storms out of the place and Jace closes the door behind him.

Jace's eyes move to look at me, causing mine to rise and look at him in silence. I moved away from the wall as I said, "I'm going to go take a shower." Jace nodded in response.

I took a long shower, enjoying it as it relaxed my muscles. The best thing I could do right now is leave the academy and Clary be and when it was time to help, I would know. Until then, I wanted just to focus on living here with Jace.

Climbing out of the shower and slipping on some clothes, I looked at myself in the mirror, catching every sight of myself in it. For whatever reason, I couldn't help but smile as I thought back to a similar situation as this. Moving in with Jace and both of us unpacking. It reminded me of that other world Clary and I went too.

It was beautiful, and something I had always wanted to happen in the back of my mind. Now, it seemed possible.

"What's with that smile?" Jace's voice asked, making me jump slightly and turn to see him in the doorway, watching me with his hands in his pockets.