(2) Promotions

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

Seated around an oblong table were four familiar faces. The three men I retrieved throughout the day yesterday and my sister Dana. Seated between them all was an unidentified female. I glanced at Dana, who looked nervous sitting there as she glanced back at me. I started picking at the inside of my cheek with my teeth, wondering why our father had called a meeting so early in the morning. I hadn't even had the chance to take a sip of my morning coffee when Dana came to collect me.

Our father casually strolled into the room with determination radiating off him. We all collectively watched him seat himself at the head of the table. I sat directly opposite of him, patiently waiting to see if I could get any sort of explanation of who these faces were. The wonders were enough to keep me from thinking about the cup of coffee I so badly wanted right now.

"Good morning," our father greeted us, "Thanks for meeting so early. I promise it won't be long."

"It couldn't have waited until after coffee?" I muttered.

"I promise it will be quick, Skye. This meeting is just an introductory meeting for everyone. Last night, I asked you to recruit these three gentlemen. I recruited the ladies." our father explained.

"Can I ask something?" I glanced between Dana and our father.

"Yes." he nodded.

"Why was I suddenly promoted to Dana's position as the Aquabase's Chief Medical Officer last night?" I questioned.

"I will explain that momentarily." he slightly nodded, "As you know, last night you recruited Carter Grayson as the Red Lightspeed Ranger, Chad Lee as the Blue Lightspeed Ranger, and Joel Rawlings as the Green Lightspeed Ranger."

"Who are the other two recruits? You pulled two files away before giving me the rest." I thought back to yesterday.

"They were the files of the last two rangers." he told us.

I wondered who they could be.

"Kelsey Winslow as the Yellow Lightspeed Ranger," he paused and looked at me, "and Dana the Pink Lightspeed Ranger."

I tilted my head slightly at Dana. This explained why she was watching me with a nervous expression. Why would he choose Dana though? That's what I didn't understand - there was nothing special about my sister, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. She was nothing more than a paramedic, just as I was. What made her so special to become a Power Ranger?

"Why didn't you have me recruit them?" I asked.

"I wasn't sure how you would react to recruiting your own sister, so I opted to do it myself." our father answered.

"So, I only got the position of Chief Medical Officer because Dana became a Power Ranger." The statement stung. For a moment, I thought I did something to deserve it. Always living in Dana's shadow in the medical world, I finally thought I did something worth a promotion.

Hidden underneath the table, I started shaking my leg. I wished my father would have been honest with me the moment he gave me the promotion - rather than finding out the only reason why I got promoted was because my sister was now selected to fight against the demons unleashed into Mariner Bay.

"Well, this is my daughter Skye, the Chief Medical Officer. I expect her to examine each of you after every battle we might face. She is who you'll go to for any and all of your medical needs." our father continued explaining as I fell silent. I tried to hide the frustration brewing inside of me by bouncing my leg.

I could feel Dana's glare on me, but I pretended not to notice. The moment we were dismissed from this meeting, my full intentions were to avoid Dana for the rest of the day. Being my sister, she could have said something to me - prepare me at least for learning that she's now a ranger. Dana and I were never that close though. We bonded like most siblings do, but we didn't share our feelings with each other in the slightest bit. She was always more open to stuff like that, but I found myself more closed to my emotions. I hid them, if possible.