(16) Invitations

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

The last few days with Ryan gone were very restless, but not for only me... but Nova as well. Between the two of us, I don't think either of us got more than an hour of sleep. Since he had left, I don't know who I worried about him more... myself or my best friend. She locked herself in his room the night he left and I found myself sitting outside of his door. It was a weird time for the both of us and I just wondered what she was thinking. I know Ryan leaving probably hurt her more than it did me, but I couldn't shake the worry from my mind.

Early in the morning I walked from the med bay back to my room. I had worked the night shift, per my fathers request, but by the time my shift was over I knew that I just had to leave the Aquabase. I needed some time away to maybe clear my head from everything going on. Miss Fairweather, her team, and the rangers searched endlessly trying to pick up a signal for my brother. It was like he fell off the face of the earth again.

I rubbed my eyes as I approached my door, reaching for the door handle. I stopped when I saw a folded up piece of cardstock with a dark blue ribbon tied around it. I knew what it was the moment I saw it. I wanted to smile, but when I saw Nova leave her room I was honestly scared of her reaction. I knew my brother would have asked her to the dance and her seeing the invitation might just break her even more.

I saw her grab the card off her door and unravel it, she looked down at me with a smile and pursed her lips together. Her whistle sounded more cheerful than it had the last few days, which told me she was probably still excited for the ball anyways. I whistled back as she headed over towards me. She encouraged me to unravel my invitation before we read them out loud together like we always did. The Aquabase Ball was an annual tradition my father held every year to celebrate all of the crew's hard work throughout the terms of their contracts.

"Captain Mitchell and his trusted committee of team members here by formally invite you to attend the twentieth annual Aquabase Ball held at the Mariner Bay Botanical Garden Indoor Center." We read it out loud.

"Our favorite time of the year," Nova smiled, "We'll have to go dress shopping this weekend."

"Of course," I smiled, "I'm feeling... red this year."

"Not surprising." Nova giggled.

"What are you two laughing about?" Carter was good at appearing out of nowhere, but it wasn't uncommon for him to be seen down his hall since his room was just across from Nova's.

"Check the invitation on your door!" I told him.

"What's it for?" he wondered, looking over my shoulder at the one in my hand.

"Every year Captain Mitchell hosts a ball. Invitations were just sent out for this year." Nova explained.

"A ball? As in a dance?" he wondered.

"Yup. Nova and I look forward to it every year." I smiled.

"Sounds fun." he nodded.

"I'll see you guys later," I folded my invitation back up, "I need to go into Mariner Bay today."

They didn't need to know that I was going there to clear my head. I just wanted to go by myself. I needed to go by myself. As much as I would have loved their company, today was just not a day that I wanted it. I'm sure they would understand.

"Will you be here for dinner?" Nova asked.

"I'll let you know." I faintly smiled, pushing my door open and taking a step forward.

"Call me if you need anything. Miss Fairweather and I are going to test some new weapons today." Nova smiled.

If there was anything that girl loved more than my brother, it was weapons. She had always been interested in them since a little girl. She was always interested in the intricate projects her father worked on and all the machinery he tinkered with. Whereas I liked all things medical and gore. Oddly enough, it made us a great pair.