(20) Memories

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

Sitting on Carter's bed with my legs crossed, I watched him move into his bathroom. I could hear the water running from the sink but I could only see his backside. I shivered when he turned back into the room. I wanted to get out of this tattered dress and into some fresh clothes, but I hadn't even thought about that until I was able to stop my mind from racing.

Carter pulled his desk chair closer to his bed, sitting on the edge of it when I saw he had a damp wash rag in his hand. Without saying anything to me at first, he reached up and pushed my hair out of my face. Then he gently brought the rag up to my forehead and started wiping away the dirt that was caked onto my skin.

I stared into his blue eyes as he ran the rag down the side of my face. It was fairly warm and felt wonderful against my skin. I leaned into his touch, feeling so much better after everything that happened tonight. Things could have been so much worse.

"You know," Carter said, moving to wash the dirt on my cheek, "When I couldn't find you in the banquet hall..."

"I'm okay." I assured him.

"Skye, you don't understand," he cleared his throat, "I've been on scene for several fires and fought against many demons, but I was never as scared as I was when you weren't behind me on the dance floor anymore."

"Carter-" I tried to interrupt him, but he continued.

"I wanted to stay and look for you but we had to defeat that demon and the moment we did, I came rushing back to the hall to look for you. I needed to know you were safe. I was supposed to make your night magical and memorable, but now all you're going to remember is the fact that I let you get hurt." Carter said, moving to my other cheek and avoiding the eye contact I was trying to set.

Looking at him, I could see that he had tears sitting at the brim of his eyes and I wanted them to spill over so I could brush them away. I shook my head, trying to not cry myself. I swallowed hard.

"I got hurt, we can't deny that. But that's not all I'm going to remember. I'm going to remember sitting here with you while you so graciously take care of me. I'm going to remember the look in your eyes and the smile you had on your face when you saw me at the top of the stairs." I shook my head.

"I couldn't help it - I had just seen the most beautiful girl in the entire world." Carter's words flowed out breathlessly.

"I don't know what I did for you to fall in love with me Carter," I finally met eyes with him, "But I wouldn't change a single thing that has led up to this moment."

"I don't ever want to see you hurt again." Carter leaned in, letting the rag fall out of his hands as he cupped my cheeks.

"I don't think you'll ever let me get hurt again." I smiled, praying that what I thought was about to happen, was finally going to happen.

"I love you, Skye Mitchell, more than I thought I could love anyone." My heart stopped with his words and my breath caught in my throat when he finally leaned in and gently pressed his lips to mine.

Electricity sparked through me as I leaned in to kiss him back. I reached up and placed my hands on his, feeling the comfort of him holding me and passionately invading my personal space. I was so incredibly happy that our moment did not get ruined or interrupted. All the missed chances and disruptions have made this moment so very special to me.

Carter pulled away, allowing us to readjust before crashing our lips back to each other. His words, his actions, just everything about Carter Grayson made me fall in love with him. I never thought that I would be in this moment right now - happy and in love.