(18) Dances

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

I hid my nervousness about the Lightspeed Ball through the art of makeup. Nova sat in my chair, sitting perfectly still as I ran blush across her cheeks. A light pink attenuated her cheekbones tremendously and made her eyes pop even more. Dana worked on her hair as I moved to applying a lip gloss to her mouth and asking her opinion on her look.

"You always do such a great job, now stop worrying about all of us and make yourself look stunning for Carter! I'm definitely thinking about this color on your lips." Nova picked a color out from my things. A very pretty nude color that would set perfectly with the dark reds and golds I had chosen for my eye shadow.

"How did you get so good at make up?" Dana asked, fluffing her hair in the mirror after finishing with Nova's.

"I'm far from good," I laughed, "I just have a lot of practice I guess. Are you sure that's all you want done Kelsey?"

"Yes, the eyeshadow and highlighter are plenty for me!" she smiled, watching the rest of us get ready.

"There's nothing to be nervous about, you know." Dana watched me.

"I'm not nervous." I lied.

"Please," Nova rolled her eyes, "You literally can never sit still when you're nervous which is why you volunteered to do everyone's make up. We're all dressed and ready to go but you still need to finish your make up and get in your dress."

I watched her fix her dress around her leg, seeing the blaster she had tucked into the garter underneath her skirt. I glared at her and crossed my arms.

"Are you psycho?" I asked her.

"What? The safety's on." she shrugged, "Come on, do your make up already."

"Okay, okay." I stared in the mirror, carefully applying the first color of eyeshadow to my lids. Dana had done my hair in a partial braid with beautiful curls on the loose strands of hair. The two pieces that framed my face set the whole look.

Adding the last touches, Nova helped make sure all the straps to my dress were secure enough that nothing was going to be slipping out tonight that shouldn't. I stepped in my heels and took a look in the mirror before adding my earrings and a necklace that my father had given me years ago.

The ride to the banquet hall was fun with everyone singing along to songs, even if music wasn't particularly my favorite thing. We all stood nervously outside the doors as we waited to be announced. We knew the boys would be inside ready to escort us as we entered. This was the first year my father would not be waiting at the end of those stairs to escort me to my table and I couldn't feel more ecstatic and nervous about it. For once, there was going to be an incredibly handsome man standing there with probably the widest grin and sparkle in his yes.

The butterflies that were beginning to erupt through my body as the announcements commenced were enough to put me in the stars. I stood in line, nervously awaiting to hear my name.

"Dana Mitchell, Lightspeed ranger number 5, pink." We could hear the clapping as Dana entered, her head high and her smile wide as her pink dress flowed around her.

"Kelsey Winslow, Lightspeed ranger number 4, yellow." Kelsey strutted in, the yellow pantsuit stole the show and I think we even heard Joel wolf whistle some.

I looked at Nova nervously. We were the next two in line.

"You'll kill it." Nova whispered.

"Nova Phillips, head weapons specialist and trainer." Nova turned the corner and began her descent down the staircase. She knew exactly what she was doing by swinging those hips as she strode down the stairs, meeting Ryan and letting him link their arms together.