(11) Cobra

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

Tap. Tap. Tap. I stirred slightly, adjusting my head on the pillow. Tap. Tap. Tap. The annoying tap was enough to stir me awake from my peaceful slumber. The type of sleep I hadn't gotten in days. I rolled onto my side, yawning as I kept my eyes closed. I was not ready to get up from bed just yet. Just a few more minutes of shut eye.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Whatever that noise was, was the most irritating thing to hear when you're first trying to wake up. When I sat up, slowly opening my eyes to adjust to the lighting in the room, I heard the tapping again. I looked to my left, seeing Carter sitting at his small desk. A book in one hand and a pen in the other. Every few seconds he tapped it against the desktop and then circled something in his book.

"That has to be one of the top five most annoying ways to be woken up." I looked at Carter, who seemed unphased that I had been sleeping in his bed. When I glanced at the ground, I saw a pillow and blanket folded neatly near his bed.

"What are the other four?" Carter asked looking up from his book.

"It's too early to think." I shook my head, "Sorry I fell asleep. I didn't even know I was that tired."

"You don't have to apologize." he told me, closing his book and setting the items down.

I reached up and ran my hands through my hair, making it look somewhat presentable. I didn't even want to look in a mirror right now because I could only imagine how horrific I looked with my bedhead.

"Did you sleep on the floor?" I asked him, lowering my feet down onto the cold tile.

That must not have been comfortable and I felt bad that he had slept down there. I stretched and stood up.

"Yeah." he said.

"I'm sorry," I started but stopped, "Sorry."

"Skye and Ryan Mitchell please report to the testing lab." Miss Fairweather's voice chimed through the intercom.

"I wonder what she wants." I muttered.

"Guess you better go find out." Carter watched me.

"Yeah," I nodded, "Again, I'm sorry I fell asleep..."

"Don't mention it." Carter stood up, "You looked comfortable and I didn't want to disturb you. I know you've been dealing with a lot the last few days and I figured you probably needed the uninterrupted rest."

"You're too kind to me and I don't understand why." I half smiled at him and half hid the yawn that was trying to come out.

"Skye and Ryan Mitchell, please report to the testing lab." Miss Fairweather repeated through the system.

"I better go. She probably sent Nova to find me." I thought.

"Want to meet for lunch or dinner?" Carter asked.

"Can I get back to you on that? I don't exactly know when I will be free today but if I see you I will let you know." I told him.

"Sounds like a plan then," he smiled.

"We'll catch up later. I'm going to sneak out of here and hope that no one questions it." I muttered, "Not that it's a bad thing... I just don't feel like answering any questions." I felt like I needed to clarify.

"Yeah, I understand." Carter chucked.

I gave a smile and a small wave to Carter as I reached for the door handle. I prayed that there was no one walking the halls right now and I could walk down to my room unnoticed. It was just my luck that as soon as I opened the door, Joel and Nova were walking right past Carter's room.