(17) Shopping

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

I always loved shopping but I didn't get to do it as often as I'd like.

I knew Nova hated it for many reasons but she could never turn down shopping for the ball. Not with me anyways, plus I knew she was secretly excited this year since she had my brother as her date. I think she also appreciated it considering both of our moms were gone. Nova's left and mine died when I was very young

"Alright let us see," I yelled. Nova stepped out from behind the curtain trying to hold the dress above her ankles like I had taught her so she didn't trip, "It looks lovely!"

"It's... pink," Nova said, almost disgustingly. Neither one of us were very fond of that color. Especially not in our wardrobe.

"What's wrong with pink?" Dana huffed.

"I just... don't do pink. It would make sense for you to wear it, but you know I never liked pink." Nova shrugged, "Can I try on the silver one now?"

I rolled her eyes, "Fine." I knew she was choosing that dress the moment she pulled it off the rack. I knew it would look good on her - I just wanted her to have fun and try on as many dresses as she could, even if they looked incredibly silly on her. That's what makes the process of shopping fun.

When Nova exited the dressing room everyone gasped. The silver complimented her cool toned tan skin perfectly and her arms looked amazing in the spaghetti strap top. Peaking out was the scar she never talked about. I knew she had it since a child, but she never told me what it was from.

"That's definitely the one!" Kelsey clapped.

Dana had a tight smile on but we paid no mind, she'd been crabby all day.

Nova smiled, "Do you think Ryan would like it?"

"Definitely," I said, taking my dress option off the rack, "Now hurry so I can try mine on."

The dress I had chosen was a red two piece. When I changed into it, it took a moment for me to tie the top around my neck so that it only showed the right amount of skin. I slid the skirt on and adjusted it to my waist, making sure the slit in the bottom sat in a comfortable place on my thigh. While I adjusted my choice, I overheard a slight banter outside the fitting room between Nova and my sister. I didn't bother chiming in - I wanted to stay out of it for right now.

"So," Kelsey chirped, "Did Ryan really not tell you he was back?"

Nova smiled, "No, it was a complete surprise. I thought Carter was pranking me."

Dana flipped her page loudly causing Kelsey and Nova to turn.

I emerged from the dressing room and Nova wolf whistled at the gown. My cheeks flushed red, knowing that she loved the dress.

"So I'm thinking, white or black heels?" I asked, twirling so I could look in the mirror.

"Definitely black," Kelsey said, "To go with Carter's tux."

"Do we have to keep talking about your dates? Like I get it, this is the first year you guys have had one." Dana scoffed.

I stood there in shock at the outburst, still facing the mirror.

"You never shut up about your dates," Nova said. She knew I wouldn't say anything so someone had to, "How many have you had since you were allowed to go to the ball anyways? I'm pretty sure it's in the double digits. At least ours won't ditch us at the last minute and we go crying to daddy."

I knew Kelsey didn't know what Nova was referencing, but she let out a laugh as Dana's face turned red with either anger or embarrassment.

"Well, I just don't think it's nice considering Kelsey doesn't have a date either." Dana commented.