And so it begins

When Sans woke up that morning, it still looked like any other day. It took them half an hour to get up, dressed slowly between naps and still made it downstairs on time to see how Paps conjured up a little delicacy whose name Sans is constantly forgetting. If they thought their memory was bad as a person, it is a lot worse now. Though with such a major head injury it was likely to be expected. But hey, at least their memory wasn't as bad as Ink's! Although the idea of writing important things like dates or birthdays on clothes sounded tempting. It would probably be equivalent to the way they used to write on their skin as a human. Even if it was unimportant stuff like the characters from anime and other series that they really liked.

"GOOD MORNING SANS!" Papyrus called to them as he put the food on the plates. Sans took out the cutlery themself.

"Mornin’ Paps. What's up for today?” Sans looked curiously at Papyrus. Even if they didn't help, they still cared what their brother had planned.

“I had planned to check my traps today and replace them if necessary. Something tells me something special is going to happen today.” Quitting eating, Sans looked at Papyrus. They had known their brother for a month and a few days now, but Sans had never seen Papyrus so tired. He had the look of someone who knows what's to come. Could it be that Papyrus remembers resets? But why were there any resets here at all? As far as Sans knew, Horrortale hadn't had a reset since Frisk left. In their opinion, there wasn't even a reason a person should reset. Maybe they just had to see this person with their own eyes.

"SANS?"

"Do you mind if I come with you, Pap?" Sans could see Papyrus struggling with himself. They saw the worry on his face and Sans wondered how many times the human must have reset for their brother to be so worried about even taking Sans outside. It really didn't paint a good picture of humans and gave Sans a theory that they really didn't like.

"FINE. BUT YOU STAY WITH ME ALL THE TIME, OKAY?” And while it was phrased like a question, Papyrus' statement was more of an invitation. But Sans had no problem complying with this. They wouldn't have left their brother alone anyway. They didn't want to test their chances of survival in this AU alone. They would love not to find out in the first place.

"All right." After that, the meal went without any further problems and was quickly over. Just so the next one could show up - Sans couldn't find their favorite headscarf. It was a light blue with little burger prints. Sure, it had been a bit torn here and there, but Sans loved it. It also kept snow out of their skull and they couldn't unconsciously scratch and pull on it when the panic got too much. The best part, however, was that Papyrus had sneaked into the dump to look for a headscarf for Sans. It could easily have backfired with Undyne's men patrolling there and not having a good talk on Papyrus from all they'd heard. Sans wondered what Papyrus did to upset the queen like this.

"SANS? WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?“, Papyrus asked confused, who was just standing at the front door and waiting there for Sans.

"Just a minute Paps. I'm just looking for my headscarf!" Sans called back and searched meticulously. They could have sworn they put it here somewhere.

"SANS... YOU'RE WEARING YOUR HEAD SCARF ALL MORNING. DID YOU FORGET THAT AGAIN?” Confused, Sans reached up and there was actually their headscarf. Was it really there all along? Sans couldn't remember.

"Sorry Papyrus. We can now.” With a nod, Papyrus sat Sans on his back, who clung to it neatly. They loved to be carried like this by their brother. So they could see everything and everyone, but nobody saw them. And as long as they didn't look down, their fear of heights didn't set in! It's a win-win situation.

The patrol itself was calm. The traps were empty, which wasn't surprising. It was rare for any animal to get caught in them. But when it did, it turned into a feast, no matter how small the booty. But then, as they made their way to the ruins, Sans could feel Papyrus tense and his shoulders tighten. He looked like he was going to war if Sans was being honest.

There was actually a human there. Sans looked carefully over Papyrus' shoulder to recognize this person. Outwardly, the human appeared to be a mixture of Frisk and Kris, with a touch of Chara. The hair itself was thick, shoulder length, and dark brown, which grew lighter towards the end. The oversized sweater the human wore was a pale green with pastel pink stripes. In addition, the person had a large plaster on their cheek and a knife soaked in dust in their hand. It confirmed San's theory. This person is committing a genocide-route.

By actively observing and scrutinizing the human, Sans had missed the fact that Papyrus and human had gone into a fight. Fortunately, Sans made it out of the danger zone quickly and watched with fascination as Papyrus fought against humans. The ax that papyrus could conjure up was particularly impressive. He swung them so effortlessly and took away some HP from humans.

"Heh... my brother is so cool.", Sans said quietly to themself. They just couldn't help but admire Pap's technique.

Unfortunately, the fun was short-lived and the terror set in. The human had managed to critically hit and Papyrus' HP dropped to zero. In what was probably the last few seconds of his life, Papyrus turned to them and said his last words.

"Run Sans..." And Sans ran. They ran away from the human and left their brother to die.

Stars, they were such a coward.