How to successfully fail to hide a child

They had drawn matches that morning to find out who was taking care of the little skeleton and when. They couldn't take care of the little one 24/7 as it would only draw Boss attention to them. It was enough for Dust that Nightmare had asked about the animal at breakfast that apparently had been brought into the house yesterday. At least they could convince him it was an animal. Apparently Cross could be a good liar in some situations. He could tell multiple times that it was a baby possum that Cinnamon had brought into the castle as he had found it abandoned and starving and Cross had just decided to take care of the baby possum.

So yes, Dust would admit he was a little impressed by Cross's ability to lie.

Still, it didn't change the fact that Dust was the first to take care of the little cream puff. Why the others even thought he would be suitable to take care of a child is questionable. In general, none of them are actually qualified to take care of a child at all. So why did the others think this was a good idea?

"Kid, it's time-" Dust had to stop in mid-sentence when he saw a Gaster leaning over Mini, his hand dangerously close to the tiny skeleton. But the attack Dust sent at the Gaster only seemed to be absorbed. However, Dust had the Gaster's attention. And for someone who looked so frail, the Gaster was quick. The grip of the hands on his arms and legs was strong, leaving Dust little room to move. As the Gaster leaned forward, Dust was ready to take more drastic action, but was caught off guard.

“Sans doesn't like orange tea and mushrooms. But he has a fondness for chocolate and mashed potatoes. Have pomegranate syrup on hand. Sans likes this one the most.” And just as quickly as Dust was trapped, he was free and the Gaster was gone.

What the hell just happened?

~*~

"Okay Kiddo, here are your waffles." Dust said after finally getting the kid into the dining room. Who would have thought that someone could naturally sleep so deeply? Dust was sure he could have used a vacuum cleaner next to the child and they wouldn't have woken up.

"Waffles for breakfast?!" Mini exclaimed excitedly. The excitement of something so simple made Dust smile slightly, especially when the eyesight briefly resembled a star. Was Horror like that before? Unfortunately, Dust didn't know. He hadn't been part of the gang when Horror came to Nightmare.

"H made them especially for you this morning so remember to thank him later, okay?"

Mini nodded while stuffing their mouth full, although they didn't really answer until their mouth was empty. "Naturally! It would be rude not to, especially since you're wasting your supplies on me."

"Kid-" Dust couldn't voice his concern at Mini's testimony as Mini cut him off. They really didn't waste supplies on Mini, the little one didn't even eat a portion that either of them would have had. It wasn't even as much as the snacks Cross picked up throughout the day. A child shouldn't have that kind of thinking. Was it because Minis Papyrus was missing? Or was it some other influence?

"Oh, hello Phantom!" Mini interrupted Dust before he could even say anything and excitedly jumped off their chair to greet Papyrus. It confirmed Dust's suspicions from yesterday. The little windbag could actually see Paps.

"HELLO LITTLE HORROR. AND AS GLAD AS I AM TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE TO TALK TO, BUT SHOULD YOU NOT FINISH EATING FIRST?” Paps used the same tone Dust had used to get him to eat his veggies. Stars, Dust felt old.

"Uhm… I'm full, don't worry!" Mini smiled brightly at the two skeletons while they wrapped up their plate properly and put it in the fridge. After all, they cannot let it go to waste just because it had gone bad because of improper storage. The waffles would then no longer taste good. Mini would know. They had already eaten some foods with green fur.