Chapter 25

Check out my book CAGED, if you'd like :) 

 'Maybe it's not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.' 

Chapter 25

"What do you mean they were after you?" 

Greg coughed loudly before continuing. 

"I got a message a couple months ago. It was stupid. It started by telling me basic facts about my life. Simple things like where I was. Who I was with.

I didn't think much about it until they started mentioning my family. Then they started threatening me. They wanted information about the pack. I was the Delta, I knew all the answers. I didn't answer them, of course. 

At least, not until the first person was killed. The threats got worse. I knew I couldn't tell anyone. That would just ruin someone else's life as well. They- They got Eric. 

They didn't hurt him. It was more of a way of proving that they were capable of hurting the people I loved if need be. That day in the library, it was a setup. They told me that I would finally get to meet the leader face to face. When I showed up to the meeting room, I was greeted by a bloody floor and a dying girl."

"When you say they-?"

"I don't know who they are. Every time it was someone different. Someone insignificant; just the messenger. I wanted to meet the leader, I tried, but they were persistent in keeping me out. 

It doesn't matter. Most of their demands, I ignored. I paid the price, but it was always small." 

"The other day, when you were in my room?" 

"I was hysterical. I honestly can't remember much of that day," When Greg noticed the discomfort on my face, he asks, "I didn't hurt you, right?" 

Subconsciously, Greg's hand lightly held my hand. I looked down at it, then back to his face. When he realized, he just held tighter. 

Even his hands were bruised. 

"Rose?" My thoughts were consuming my mind, I couldn't even think straight.

"No, you didn't hurt me. But you acted really strange. You- you had a knife. You kept screaming and walking around; saying it was all your fault." The last thing I wanted was to add to his suffering. 

Even so, he needs to remember. The more he remembers, the more he can tell us. 

"It was my fault." Greg brought his hands to his lap and stared down at them.

"What was?" Crooking my head slightly, I study him. 

"I'm so sorry, Hunter." Greg looked straight at his reflection. 

"I didn't have a choice. They were going to kill Eric. I know it's still a life gone, but I couldn't let him die. He's too young. He has his whole future ahead of him. Your mother didn't deserve it either. I'm so sorry." 

I finally understood what he was trying to say. He wasn't looking at his reflection. He was looking through it. At Hunter. 

Greg's voice cracked as he spoke. 

"I-I didn't think they would kill her. They only asked me where she lived. I know it's stupid, but I had hope. You have to understand that it was not my intention for anyone to get hurt. You trusted me enough to tell me about your past. About your family. I want you to know that for as long as I live, I will always feel the guilt of my actions. I'm so sorry." Greg began panting, taking deep breaths all the while searching his reflection.