CHAPTER TWO

"Welcome to high school, where the drama will fill your head with anxiety."
-

I walked into the lunch room and saw the rest of the group sitting at a table. I went up to them and sat down because I brought a lunch from home after the horrific lunch from yesterday.

"Hey guys. How was 2nd period?" I asked sitting down in a seat next to JJ.

"Some kid in my class started screaming and crying because they got an F on the pop quiz." Pope said, as calmly as possible.

"You guys got a pop quiz on the second day of school?" I asked, appalled. He nodded. "Yeah it wasn't hard, we just had to name 500 french words."

Kiara whipped her head over and had a shocked expression. "What?! That sounds awful?" Pope shrugged. "Well I got A+ so."

"Of course you did," Kiara laughed.

We ate our food for a few minutes and then I remembered that we all said we were gonna join an after school club.

"Oh shit guys. What club are we gonna join?"

"Oh I forgot about that. We need to join one together because I'm not about to be in a club by myself." Pope said stuffing a burger in his mouth.

JJ thought about it and then said, "Ummm, I don't know what clubs there are. Wait- why do we have to join a club again?"

"Because it will look really good on my college application if I was in a club during freshmen year."

"Pope, do you ever not think about college?" I asked while drinking the soda from my cup.

"Of course not. Unlike y'all, I won't be in Outer Banks for the rest of my life." He told us. "Wow Pope, you'd really leave us here like that," JJ said with a saddened face.

"In an instant." Pope replied without hesitation. JJ and Pope started going back and forth while Kiara went up to go the bathroom. I noticed Sarah had her head down and wasn't talking much so I decided to check on her.

"Are you okay?"

Sarah lifted her head and looked at me. She looked really tired but managed to reply. "Yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't get the best sleep last night, but I'm fine, I promise."

I wasn't sure if she was telling the whole truth, but I let it go. "Okay I believe you, just let me know if something's bothering you and I'll try to help, okay?"

"Of course John B."

I smiled and looked over at Pope and JJ, who were still going back and forth over Pope wanting to leave Outer Banks.

"Can you guys stop arguing like an old married couple. What club are we gonna join?!"

Kiara came back to the table with a flyer.

"Hey, when I was by the bathroom I saw these flyers with a list of the school clubs on them. Maybe it can help us pick a club." She said, putting the paper down in the middle of the table.

"Oh my god Kie, you're so smart." JJ replied grabbing the paper. "I know." She said as she continued eating her lunch.

JJ scanned the paper for a second before giving it to Pope.