CHAPTER FIVE

"High School. It changes people into the monster they said they'd never become."
-

(Pope's POV)

I walked into biology and noticed the teacher wasn't there. I went over to a student to ask about it.

"Hey, do you know where Ms. Page is?"

"I heard she's sick and isn't coming in today. I think we're getting a sub."

I sighed as I thanked them and walked to my seat. I was panicking because I needed to tell our teacher to change my grade since she gave me a 92% when I actually got a 95%.

I sat down for about 30 seconds before I heard loud, LOUD screams coming from the hallway. That's when I remembered that we were having a hall sweep. Basically, if you're caught in the hall after the bell rings you go to detention for the period.

I looked up as I saw John B, Kie, and JJ bolt through the door with a speed so powerful it almost looked like a scene in an action movie.

The bell rung and they sighed with relief and came over to where I was to sit down.

"Are you guys okay?!" I asked, actually concerned that their lungs were gonna give up.

"I had to run all the way from the other side of the damn school." Kiara replied, gasping for air with every word that escaped her mouth. John B took a deep breath and said, "I genuinely thought it was over for me."

I laughed at their responses and looked over at JJ who was just sitting calmly.

"I wasn't really worried, I just don't like this class so I wouldn't have cared if I got swept up."

"JJ, if you get detention then you can't go to Homecoming."

He looked at me with shock. "Wait seriously? I thought they were just kidding."

"JJ-"

Kiara got interrupted by our substitute teacher who walked in and closed the door.

"Hello everyone, I'll be your sub today. Since this was kinda last minute, you all don't have any work for today. Feel free to talk QUIETLY among yourselves."

I looked at JJ who was clapping loudly. Kiara had to threaten to slap him across the face for him to stop.

"So guys, what are we doing about homecoming?" John B asked while doing some late work.

"We're still all going together right?"

"Yeah, I don't really have anyone else to go with," Kiara nodded. JJ agreed, "You guys are kinda my only friends so.. you're stuck with me!!"

"So John B, are you gonna ask Sarah to the Homecoming?"

He looked at me and his face immediately turned red.

"Me?! Ask Sarah Cameron to the homecoming?! No way, she wouldn't even think about it before saying no. Besides, she's probably going with Topper."

He looked really sad and me, JJ, and Kiara shared looks of sympathy.

"John B, you can't know for sure what she'll say if you never ask."