28

WAFA:

It's been almost two weeks since Uriel broke up with me. I can't even believe that he terminated our relationship like that. With no valid explanation.

Was everyone right about him? Was he just playing me just like his other relationships? Was he back to his old ways? No.. but then did he just seriously fall out of love?

These prodding questions engulfed my mind every second. I found myself tearing up just at the thought of him using me and my idiocy.

Even after begging for answers after our breakup like a moron, all I received was him saying "It's not you, It's me". As if that helps calm the flames that engulfed my chest every time I realize that I can't run to him when things get hard or look at him the same anymore.

A couple of days ago I had started to lose focus. I could no longer attend my classes without the stinging feeling of heartbreak I couldn't really control. I didn't know how to handle it. How do people do this?

Slowly I started to hate him. My desperation led me to just disgust and hatred. My vision of what is right and wrong started to blur and so did my once so smart decision making.

The only thing that was going smoothly was surprisingly Hana's life. Ahmed called off the engagement so randomly that everyone spit out their food at a dinner party that his mom hosted last week.

His dad was so angry, he got up and left the dinner table but Ahmed just shrugged and sat back down to eat.

That party ended pretty early and we had to leave as soon as the party started basically.

I could only imagine what Ahmed's dad said to him.

At least Hana was happy, at least she was doing okay.

*****

I ran to Hana and hugged her from the back and she jumped.

"Wafa!" A genuine smile spread on her face. Her cheeks looked fuller and full of color. Seeing her bright eyes made my chest flutter. She looked healthier and happier.

Her eyes then widened. "You cut your hair!"

I chuckled. "Yeah, my hair was too long." I sighed, feeling a pang in my chest. I wasn't completely honest but I wanted whatever Uriel liked about me to be gone or at the very least tainted. He had always compliments my hair's length and would tell me that it was one of my best features. So therefore, it had to go.

Hana reached over. "I love it. It looks good." She touched the edges of my hair where it ended right above my shoulder.

"I'm thinking about dying it." I cocked my head. "What do you think?"

Hana's smile faded a little. I could tell she was a little concerned for my well being after learning that me and Uriel no longer together.

"No, your natural hair is beautiful." She held my hands. "Lets go eat?"

"Sure." I let her lead me to the parking lot. Recently we had been obsessed with a low-key cafe that was near the outskirts of the school. They had the best lunch sandwiches and coffee drinks.

****

Me and Hana sat down and started to eat. This place felt like a safe space for me and her. It was really our secret but we did see some students from our year stop by here.

"Did you get the chicken?" I asked her as I ate some of my fries.

"Yes." She said with a full mouth and we both started laughing at her struggle.