22

HANA :

My heart pounded.

I felt nauseous as if I was going to throw up. My mouth dried up as I saw a glimpse of my dad on the dinner table eating and completely ignoring my mom.

I felt the air.

It was different.

"Dad," the thoughts in my head cleared, "I have to tell you something."

My dad sighed. Annoyed. I felt a distaste in my mouth. Ever since my dad forced his opinion on who was gonna be my spouse, I suddenly saw him in a different light. I was not pleased.

"What?" He snapped. The utensils waited in his hands.

Okay I'm just going to say it. "I don't want-"

Before I could finish, the door rang.

"Get the door." My dad ordered and I sighed. It was just gonna be my brother. How annoying I was about to let loose.

My dad noticed me not moving and he sighed. "Get the door and then we can continue the talk."

My shoulders slumped. But I was so ready.

I ran to open the door and my jaw dropped. It was freaking Ahmed and his parents.

My mouth dried up. "Ahmed?" I looked at his parents. "What.."

Ahmed's mom pushed me out of the way and walked into the house. "Hello!" She greeted my parents with a bouquet in her arms.

I bit my lip.

Ahmed smiled at me and handed me a gift which I wouldn't have taken if his father hadn't been looking at me.

"Thank you." I didn't meet Ahmed's eyes. He walked in and my mom looked really annoyed.

"Why didn't you tell us?" She faked a nice voice. I knew she didn't like them!

"Well were in the neighborhood and decided to stop and give Ahmed a look! He missed Hana too much." His mom said and I rolled my eyes. Ahmed sees me everyday at school.

I wonder what their real motive was for coming so suddenly?

******

"Did I interrupt your day?" Ahmed sat next to me on the couch as my parents and his talked about politics and things.

I stared at the red Persian carpet underneath me. I wanted to say no but I was sure the adults were listening. "I wasn't doing anything." I answered vaguely and my dad gave me a look.

I felt too much pressure here. I hated this setting. Should I scream now?

Ahmed started rambling on about his football games and I honestly zoned out, that is my phone started ringing.

Ahmed watched me as I walked over to the counter where it was charging and flipped it over.

It was Murad's number. I had deleted it but I knew it by heart.

I held my breath and without skipping a beat, answered it.

"Meet me in the front of your house." His voice sent happy shivers down my spine.

"I can't." I looked up at Ahmed and his family who were watching me like hawks from the living room.

"Fine." Murad snapped and cut off the line. I was left shocked but tried to keep a poker face. I can't believe he called me. My heart couldn't stop pounding in my chest despite calmly walking back to my seat.

"Everything okay?" Ahmed asked again but he was so faint.

"Yep." I nodded but I couldn't keep still. I took the juice he offered and because I was a klutz, it spilled on me.