5

"Hey." My brother flicked my forehead as I ate cereal.

I glared at him. "What do you want?" I said with food in my mouth.

"Ew." He looked away. He then went back to the kitchen to grab breakfast as well before we headed off to school. "Guess what?" He called.

I looked up at him. "Yeah?"

"My dad cancelled. Something happened and they need him." He expained and I rolled my eyes. This always happens.

"Again?" I sighed.

"Yup." Karan poured his cereal and milk. He walked over and sat beside me.

We ate together and after a few minutes, Murad showed up and waved through the kitchen window.

I put my dishes in the sink and grabbed my bag quickly to meet him outside.

Karan must have noticed my extremes because he laughs. "You're way too excited."

I stopped in my tracks. "No I'm not." I brushed his comment off and closed the front door. Karan wasn't going to come with us. He usually goes with his friends.

"Hey." Murad smiled, his dimples deepened.

I waved back. "Hi."

Murad looked at me and then his eyes focused on my dark green sweater. "That's what you're wearing?" He asked as he looked at me with a sly grin. I was wearing jeans with an oversized sweater I found in my brothers room. I wasn't sure why he was being weird.

I frowned. "Yeah? So?"

"Nothing." He shook his head and walked to his car.

I sat in the passenger seat and buckled my seat belt. I let out a deep sigh.

Murad looked at me oddly as he turned on the engine. "What's wrong?"

"My dad," I mumbled. "He's not coming. He canceled."

Murad studied his steering wheel. "For how long?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. Maybe a long time. Maybe in a few more months."

Murad nodded still looking away. "Ah." He then turned to me. "You'll see him soon hopefully." He smiled easily.

I smiled back. "Yeah, hopefully."

*****

MURAD:

I hoped I looked sincere when Hanna told me about her dad.

The truth is I already knew.

My mom told me today before going to work. She explained that her dad wasn't coming in a while but that doesn't mean that I was free to like her.

Which really pissed me off. I hated that my mom thinks I'm attracted to Hanna in that sense. I only saw Hanna as a childhood friend. I don't see her as a woman, woman.

My mom kept explaining to me that I'm going to get married to some girl who was much better and I should keep my boundaries which I just nodded to her just to get the conversation over with.

I assured her that there were boundaries between me and Hanna. I honestly don't know why I acted up a day ago. Me and Hanna were only friends. I didn't see her like that. Plus, I chuckled to myself as I thought this- nobody is going to come for her. It's not that she's not pretty I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

"Are you sure?" My mom asked clearly serious.

I nodded. "I don't like Hanna at all." I rolled my eyes. "I'd hate to think of her like that." I further explained, fully confident in my words.