4

Chapter Four: Cockiness

–————————————

"We would like you to now congratulate your class of 2021 graduates of Meadow Hillside High school!" I look to see my mom, aunt, and cousin in the crowd. My mother's tear-filled eyes warmed my heart. I smiled as students threw their caps high in the air. I, however, spent a heaping amount of time decorating mine so I was not throwing it up. As we followed in pursuit of exiting the auditorium, as we practiced, I neared my mom as she engulfed me in a hug.

"You did it! Next stop college!" She squealed. I was then attacked by my older cousin who held multiple balloons, flowers, and gifts.

"Congratulations GiGi!" She yelled while still hugging me. I followed the routine of hugging my aunt as well.

"Thank you, guys." I was basically raised by women. As stated before, my mom got knocked up at fifteen. My father's parents felt my mom had trapped my dad considering he had a football scholarship on the line. Talk about the case of One Tree Hill. So, it was just my mom and aunt. My grandmother wasn't really that present in my mother's life. As far as I am concerned, she lives in Florida with my mom's dad. I often think about what it would be like to have them a part of my life, but I am beyond grateful to have my mom. It may be a small support team, but I love them dearly.

My shoulder was tapped. I turn to see my mom's boyfriend from the past year. I stiffly hug him.

"Congratulations kid." He said. I issued a thank you pulling back from the greying old man. Looks as though I follow my mother's footsteps. My father was older than her when they met, but not like this huge age gap.

"I'm not sure what teens like, so how do five hundred bucks sound?" He asked. My eyes lit up.

"No way!" I yelled excitedly. He handed me a card and from the feeling of it, it was pretty thick.

"You guys, we don't want to lose our reservation. Let's go." My aunt says as we began walking through the parking lot.

We were stopped by Adriana in the parking lot. "Congratulations," my mother said. Adriana hugged her in response.

"Don't forget the pool party at Macy's."

"You know I'm there," I said smiling.

"I'll pick you up!" She said running away.

–————————————

"Fresh outta high school. How does it feel?" My mom's boyfriend joked. I rolled my eyes playfully.

"I'm on top of the world," I said proudly. They all chuckled. My mom kept nudging him causing me to furrow my eyebrows.

"Are you okay mom?" I asked.

"Adriana can't pick you up for the party." I sunk into my seat.

"Can I take your car?" I asked hopefully. She shook her head 'no'.

"I have to work, so I'll have it." I wasn't understanding. She lets me go whenever.

"Mom. . ." I said steadily. I began biting my cheek to contain the anger that was rising.

"You can drive yourself." I was beyond confused.