11

Chapter Eleven: I Put a Spell on You

–————————————

"What do you mean dad?" I ask beyond confused.

"Yeah, I finally found you again." He says stuffing his hands into his pocket.

"What do you mean? My mom says—" I began speaking but he cuts me off.

"Is she here?!" He asks peeping his head into the door.

"No," I say pushing him back.

"Look, I don't know you. For all I know, you could be lying." I say getting ready to shut the door.

"Giselle Claire Windsor. Born in November two thousand and three." He says.

"Anyone can have that information," I say rolling my eyes.

"Wait!" He says blocking the door.

"I have a gun," I tell him.

"Just look at these pictures." He says holding a few pieces of wrinkled pictures in his hand. I take them from him. The first one I see is my mother in a hospital bed holding what appears as me. I analyze the rest of the photo seeing a very much younger version of the man standing before me. They both were smiling. My mom looked happy. I wasn't understanding. I flipped through the next ones seeing a baby photo of myself that I have never seen before. I had to have been at least three. I shook my head not understanding.

"My mom said you wanted no parts of us. She said your parents thought she trapped you. She said you never showed to my birth." I say growing beyond confused and angry. He rolls his eyes.

"Typical of your mother." He says chuckling.

"I haven't seen you since you were five." He says smiling. I was nebulous of this news I was hearing. My mother wouldn't lie to me. I am not going to believe some stranger on my doorstep. For all I know, he could be bat-shit crazy. But these photos weren't bringing her any justice. Why does he have them? I only knew what my mother told me of the man, for crying out loud I never knew what he looked like.

"Calvin." I hear my mom's shocked voice behind the man that appears to be my dad.

"Ella." He says turning to face her.

"What the fuck are you doing here? Giselle get in the house!" My mom yells at me as she's holding a brown bag of groceries.

"Mom, what's going on?!" I ask her.

"Get in the house." She says pushing me inside. She shuts the door, and I hear her yelling. I've never seen my mother so irate. I press myself against the door trying to hear.

"What are you doing here Calvin?! Shouldn't you be with that whore you married?" She bellows.

"You're still the same old bitter woman. I have a right to my daughter, and you know that. You fled Florida thirteen years ago without a trace, and I finally found you." He says.

I thought my mom was disowned by her mother. What would possess a twenty-year-old with a baby and no money to run away? I'm not understanding.