1

Chapter One: Thinking Bout You

–————————————

I bit the edge of my pen as I thought about what the answer was to the number eleven

'Who was the first Roman Emperor?'

After some thought, I quickly filled in the blank. I hurriedly answered the other questions wanting to be finished with this stupid test that added no value to my life. Once I answered number twenty, I was out of my desk yearning to turn it in. My teacher looked over her glasses, as I approached her.

"Finished so soon?" She asked. Clearly, I thought, but I refrained from being a smart ass and plastered a fake smile on my face.

"Yes ma'am," I stated wanting her to take the paper from me.

"You do know this final is worth forty percent of your grade, and you need to pass it in order to graduate."

"I am aware," I said. My patience was waning thin. I bit the inside of my cheek to contain the outburst I so badly wanted to release.

"Very well then Ms. Windsor." She said as she finally grabbed the paper from me. I exited the door and made my way down the hall.

Last final!

In just two more weeks, I'll be out of this dump. My phone rang; I retrieved it from my satchel seeing my mother's face on the screen. I quickly answered it.

"Hi, honey." She spoke.

"Hi, mom," I said fetching a cigarette from my bag as well as lighting it as I bumped my hip against the door to open it.

"I take it that you're finished with your last final considering you answered the phone." She stated.

I blew out of a puff of smoke. "Yup." I quickly answered.

"Okay great. Listen, honey, I'm going to be home late again-" I rolled my eyes before taking in another puff of smoke. I began to calm down as the cancer stick settled my nerves. I took one more drag before stomping it out.

"It's fine mom, but you owe me two movies instead of one." I heard her chuckle on the other end.

"Deal. This weekend I am all yours." She said and I smiled. I'm never upset when my mother has to work late. We need the money. I know she's working for us.

"Are you going to be alright alone tonight? It's supposed to storm. I can have Ms. Harrison stop by to check on you—" I quickly cut her off.