The Injury

Short chapter to start but don't worry more to come! (Pre-written)

HUGE HUGE thank you to @Im_lost_hehe who put up with me for the entirety of writing this. They read through this more times than I can count to give me opinions, and honestly I probably wouldn't have finished this without them. I know those read throughs were no breeze even if they enjoyed the story because by the end it takes over 2 hours to read according to Wattpad... So once again a huge thank you to them!

Please enjoy and comment as you go! I love to hear your thoughts.

.

.

.

---

James finally had a night free to go to one of Kendall's hockey games. Between his recording sessions, interviews, and practices he hadn't been able to go to a game in weeks. He sat up in the VIP box watching his wonderful fiancé glide across the ice in his LA Kings jersey with the 'C' on it, for captain. The youngest LA Kings Captain in team history. They were in the middle of the second period against the New York Islanders, when the smile fell from James' face.

Kendall had just scored another goal bringing the score to 4-2, with the LA Kings in the lead. He glided to the side of the net and fist pumped in the air in celebration when one of the Islanders came up behind him and went in for a fight. He slammed his stick into the back of Kendall's leg and rammed the unexpecting captain into the ice.

James watched with wide eyes as his fiancé was attacked, he had seen a many a hockey fights in his years, but never one this viscous, this guy was out for blood. He continued to attack Kendall while he was down and the refs and other players, including some of the Islanders, tried to pull him away. Finally they were successful in pulling him away, but the damage was done. Kendall was laying there, and he wasn't moving. The medic team on stand by rushed out seeing Kendall making no move to get up.

That was all James saw before he rushed out of the box determined to find a way to get closer He knew he couldn't get on the ice, but he could get to the locker rooms where Kendall would soon be brought based on the injuries that were sure to be found.

As James rushed through the normally loud stadium, he heard the hush that had fallen upon it.

---

Kendall smiled as he scored a goal for his team, he skated to the side and pumped his fist in the air. A broad smile upon his face as his eyes traced the crowd making their way to the VIP box, hoping to catch a glimpse of his fiancé, until he felt a sudden pain in the back of his leg. His leg buckled under him, but from years of experience on the ice he didn't drop down, not until the second blow hit and slammed shoulder first into the cold surface. From there the hits just kept coming, his helmet had been knocked off at some point. Kendall didn't know how long the barrage of hits went on, but he felt every one as if the pads he was wearing weren't there at all.

Finally, the hits stopped coming, and all Kendall could feel was pain. He laid there on the ice for a moment, and realized a lot of pain was coming from his leg. Pain was radiating from everywhere, but it was strongest in his leg.

Quickly, he was surrounded by the med staff, looking up at the bright stadium lights as he heard the bustling speaking around him.

"Knight!"

Kendall heard clearly his last name. The first word to become clear in the jumbled noise surrounding him.

It was his coach.

"Coach?" Kendall mumbled starting to regain his bearings from the surprise attack.

"Hey, I need you to tell me where the pain is coming from." His coach commanded, knowing that was what Kendall needed.

"Right leg, knee and lower area. Not my ankle." Kendall said clearly, the shock having faded from his system momentarily.

"Anywhere else?"

"Everywhere, but not as bad as my leg."

His coach nodded firmly and watched the med team work.

Kendall wasn't entirely sure what they were doing, but he could feel the poking and prodding of his leg. After a few moments they declared they could safely take him off the ice to have his leg checked out in the med room. They helped Kendall off the ice, holding up most of his weight and keeping all weight off his injured leg. In doing so Kendall felt tinges of pain all across his body, but pushed through as the crowd applauded him. He never quiet understood the sentiment. The applause for the injured leaving the ice or the field? They weren't making it off on their own. Then again, it was the thought that counted, and it was a sign of respect. Kendall just pushed through the pain and allowed the staff to help him to the medical room.

---

James stood next to the medical room, he knew Kendall would be here any minute, even if the injury wasn't severe he would still brought back here to be checked over.

The staff had let him back here easily, he had a pass and they all knew him. For one, the pass let him back here, for two, he was Kendall's fiancé and Kendall was hurt, and for another point, he was desperate to get back there to his love.

The moments creeped by at a painstakingly slow rate, when finally there was movement down the hall: Kendall.

James let out a breath he didn't even realize he was holding when he saw Kendall heading towards him, but the breath was once more held when he took in Kendall's appearance. His pain was obvious on his face. That alone scared James. Kendall Knight did not show pain easily. Kendall felt pain, but he never showed it if he could help it. He had spent too many years in leadership roles to do that, he was always the strong member of the team ready to push through everything. With an inspirational speech to back it up.

To add to the fear, he had two people supporting his weight.

Kendall only accepted what help he needed, and even then it was hard to get him to accept that help.

---

.

.

.

Don't worry there is more to come! This is pre-written and has 33K words! I will be posting two to three times a week (Any preferences on what days?). Hope you enjoyed, please comment and let me know what you thought?

Also I timed this just right since BTR announced their reunion this week, I started this story a little over a month ago.

Also any title suggestions, the current one is very much so a working title...

Disclaimer: I do not ship Kendall and James IRL, but I loved their characters for this AU. Hope you enjoyed.