The Next Steps

"You are making tremendous improvements Kendall. You are on the right track to be back at week 6, once again not a guarantee." Logan said looking over Kendall's leg at the week 4 appointment. "This week I want you to work on walking on it with your crutches or James supporting you outside of the pool. I know you said you tried standing on it a few days ago outside of the pool with James supporting you, now I want you to try and build it up to walking like that. Now, don't push it too fast, if it's not ready by the next appointment, that's fine. Don't go past your limits, that will only injure it further."

"Got it."

"Now, before you leave I want to see your progress with walking, and have you try it here first." Logan explained and gestured for James and Kendall to follow him, leading them to one of the workout rooms the team had. This one was more geared towards rehabilitation though.

"Go ahead and just try standing with James supporting you." Logan said directing them onto the same kind of mats they had used at home.

Logan took Kendall's crutches as James held onto Kendall.

"You got this. I am right here, same deal as usual. I've got you." James promised whispering in Kendall's ear, though Logan heard it too and smiled softly.

Kendall took a deep breath and placed his injured leg down on the ground and began to apply pressure. Once the initial shock of pain wore off, Kendall was delightfully surprised at the lack of pain in comparison to having done this days prior.

Kendall stayed standing for two minutes. A vast improvement from his ten seconds days prior.

"Your work in the pool has seriously paid off. I would recommend doing most of your work outside of the pool this week, but if your leg starts to hurt more so than you know it should, go back to the pool for a day."

"Two minutes Kendall, do you want to do the math?" James smiled still holding Kendall up.

"12." Kendall answered immediately.

"Correct," James smirked as he began to kiss Kendall 12 times.

"Ok, I'm sorry, that was adorable." Logan said after they were completed.

Kendall blushed looking down.

"That is a good system though, it helps give you a goal to work towards that isn't directly related to your leg."

"I love this system." Kendall said softly still looking down.

"Do you think you can handle any steps?" Logan asked.

"Maybe?"

"Ok, then let's give it a try."

Kendall nodded as he felt James pick him up from around his waist and turn him 90 degrees so he didn't have to turn. He may have been able to do it in the pool, but he wasn't ready for that outside of it yet. Kendall loved that James knew that without even having to be prompted.

"You ready?" James asked softly.

"Nope, but let's do this."

Kendall took his deep breath before stepping forward with his injured foot, applying pressure to it slowly. Before Kendall's eyes widened.

"I just took a step." Kendall said aloud.

"Yes you did love. You want to take another?"

Logan watched from the side with a smile. He had heard stories of how good these two were together, but to see it first hand really was amazing.

Kendall took a deep breath and took a step forward with his uninjured leg causing his injured leg to take on more pressure.

Kendall surprised himself as he was able to take another step, and then another, and then another.