The Start

Kendall woke up hours later to mumblings and movement. He quickly realized they were coming from James.

"James, Jamie, wake up for me." he shook him gently, suddenly James' eyes opened.

"Kendy,"

"Shh... James, it's ok, I got you." Kendall comforted running his fingers through his hair as James buried his head in Kendall's chest.

"Was it one of your usual's?" Kendall asked softly ones James' breathing slowed. When James shook his head no, Kendall's face froze. James had nightmares fairly frequently, but they had slowed down over the years except when he something sudden or stressful had happened. But they were always part of one set of nightmares. For it to be different, completely threw Kendall off. "No matter what it was, everything is ok now."

"Kendy, it's not."

"What do you mean?"

"It wasn't just a nightmare it was real, I was stuck watching on loop you get hurt, and not get back up. I couldn't move from my seat, I couldn't find out what was wrong, I was just stuck. Watching it on loop."

Kendall didn't know what to say so he just continued to hold James until he felt his breath level out. He had finally calmed down enough to go back to sleep.

He smiled as he laid back down, holding James still to his chest and falling back asleep himself.

---

The next morning everything went smoothly, as did the next few days though Kendall was beginning to get restless. He needed out of the house, he had been resting his leg for nearly a week now. Luckily for him, the LA Kings PR team had the perfect idea. There had only been one hockey game since Kendall had been injured, he and James had considered going, but that day coincided with when James a press event and Kendall did not want to navigate the stadium by himself nor did he want to go hang out in the VIP box and on top of that his leg was being extremely sensitive to movement that day and even the slightest movement was hurting him. So instead he watched it at home from the couch with his leg up. Though this time, James was free and Kendall's leg was feeling much better in comparison. It also worked out that it was exactly a week later and Logan wanted to check out his leg again.

Now for the PR team it was actually a group effort involving the LA Kings PR and Gustavo. They decided a great way to draw an even larger crowd to this game was to have and an extra special event going on. It was also a great way for James to have some extra exposure for his album that was coming out in just five more weeks and his tour that was starting just two months later. So Gustavo decided that James could release the first single off the album by performing it at he game and then it would drop the next morning. Also during and before the game they would have James and Kendall set up to do autographs and pictures with all the proceeds going to charity.

Because who could resist the singer and hockey captain duo.

"Are you sure you are up for this Kendall?" James asked as he got ready for the game.

"Yes, James, I swear. If anything changes I will tell you."

"Ok, but-"

"No buts, I am good right now. If it starts hurting more I will let you know. I will not be standing on my leg at all while we are there. Autographs will be us sitting a table, most pictures will be selfies while we are sitting there, and for the photo ops they arranged, I will be on my crutches and you will be right there with me. You will not be separated from me. You will be with me basically the whole time. The only exception being when you perform, and even then I will be just off to the side. You will be able to see me the whole time." Kendall reassured James, and James had held true to his agreement that he would only coddle Kendall for those two days then he would loosen up some, though as Kendall expected the coddling came out anytime something new was going to happen and usually Kendall would state then that James was coddling, but for this he couldn't hold it against James. They would be going back to the stadium where Kendall had gotten hurt and Kendall would be in big crowds with fans, where he could easily be knocked over, and James was performing a new song tonight. James had continued to sporadically have the nightmares about his injury on the ice over the past week, and James always got nervous when he was performing a new song. So Kendall was going to let the coddling slide for right now. James needed something he could control, so if Kendall could give him this, he would.