The First Stand

James had just gotten home from a small press junket, and was ready to get in the pool and work with Kendall again.

"Wait." Kendall said as James grabbed a pair of swim shorts.

"What is it?" James asked softly, Kendall had been going head into all the work to help his leg, and he knew he had been stressing himself out over his progress, but stopping was not what James was expecting. If that was what Kendall was about to say, then James was scared. Kendall did not give up, he was too stubborn for that.

"I don't want to work with my leg in the pool."

"Is it hurting you?" James asked rushing over ready to comfort his love. That had to be the only reason Kendall would decide not to work with his leg.

"No, well yes, but just it's normal annoyance. But I don't want to work with it in the pool. I think I want to try walking on it, outside of the pool."

"Ok, we can do that." James agreed, this was more like Kendall. Wanting to push forward.

"Logan said to do it with my brace on and still with the support of my crutches."

"Ok, let's head down to the gym then. We can do it on the cushioned impact gym mats we have in there I use when I'm working on some of my flips and dances."

"Sounds good."

---

Kendall tentatively placed his injured leg on the ground, but he hadn't put any weight on it yet. He was too scared for that.

"Hey, it's gonna be ok, if you aren't ready for this we can just go back to the pool. Even if you are ready for this we can go back to the pool. If it hurts too much, there are no further consequences, we will just keep working with it in the pool until you're ready for this. There is no pressure on you for this." James reassured.

Kendall took a deep breath and stared down at the ground.

"Hey, just breath. I'll hold you." James said softly before taking Kendall's crutches one by one and placing them against the wall then taking his place by Kendall's side. Wrapping his arm around him supporting this weight on his right side. His injured side. "If anything happens, I will catch you. If you can't take it just collapse. I've got you. Don't hurt yourself. It's me supporting you, not the crutches. All you have to worry about is trying to use your leg. That's it. I'll take care of everything else."

Kendall kissed James before shifting his weight to be on both legs.

Nearly immediately he collapsed into James.

"Hey, I've got you, just like I said. You're okay. We will just work on it in the pool more."

"No, one more try. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, and the moment I felt anything I collapsed into you. One more try. If I do it again, then we go back to the pool."

"Ok, and just like last time: I've got you."

Kendall took a deep breath before repeating his action. This time he stayed standing. He wasn't placing near the normal weight he would on his leg normally, rather spreading it between his uninjured leg and leaning more into James more so than he did in the pool, but he was standing on it. He stayed like that for what felt like forever to Kendall as he pushed through before collapsing into James.

James caught him without hesitation seeing it in Kendall's face before it even happened. Once Kendall was steady James kissed him.

"Not that I am complaining, but what was that for?"

"You made it to 10 seconds, that equals a kiss. Remember?"

"I really do like that exchange system."

"Do you want to head to the pool now?"

"Yeah, it felt good to do that, but I want to work with it more in the pool before continuing that. I guarantee you I could not handle a step right now." Kendall admitted.

"Alright, that sounds like a plan then." James said before lifting Kendall off his feet.

"What are you doing James?"

"Sweeping my Knight off his feet."

"Still a cheesy line James, but really what are you doing?"

"Taking you over to your crutches so you can grab them and then I am carrying you up to our room to change to get into the pool."

"I can walk you know."

"Yes, but I want to carry you."

"Fine." Kendall said rolling his eyes, but really he loved when James held him close. So, he leaned his head into James' chest and just enjoyed the moment.

James was supporting Kendall as he worked on standing for a while in the pool.

"So, your mom called me while I was at the studio earlier."

"Why did my mom call you?'

"Well, she was worried about you, saying you had been giving her very few updates so she was giving up on getting info from you and turning to me. She also wants to come visit soon."

"Hey, I have been updating her every few days."

"Well, she clearly doesn't think they were comprehensive enough and wants to come see for herself, and Katie has three day weekend this weekend from school. So, she is planning on them coming over and staying."

"She does realize it's only an hour drive right? I do not mind her staying if you don't, but she doesn't have to make it seem like she has to travel across the country." Kendall laughed.

"She was trying to let you handle this as an adult with your loving fiancé, but I think the mom side is taking over and she wants to take care of you. Plus, your sister misses you."

"I talk to Katie all the time, and they really are only an hour away. I saw her, in person two days before the hockey game."

"Yeah, and how do you feel when you haven't seen me in 3 weeks and have only talked to me over the phone?" James challenged.

"Alright you've made your point."

"I thought so, and hey be happy your family wants to come visit you. I love it when they come visit. It's fun to have more people in the house."

"I love when they visit too, don't get me wrong with my questioning, my moms antics just amuse me."

"I know."

"So, how is the prep for the tour coming?"

They continued their easy discussion as Kendall stood, testing just how long he could stand. Which of course ended in a series of kisses, one for every 10 seconds Kendall stood.

.

.

.

Short, but the next chapter is the length of 2!!! Let me know what you thought!

Next Chapter: Friday! (unless I get 5 reviews before then and I'll post Thursday!)