Chapter 15__Let Her Go

I hadn't stayed at home, even when practically everyone stayed over there last night did. 

I might have been ready to go to the hospital for Sheriff's funeral with everyone there, and go to the funeral where Damon was supposed to deliver the eulogy, but I knew for a fact that I wouldn't be able to stay in the same house with them for a full night. 

Tyler and I walked toward the church where the funeral was. 

I suddenly got lightheaded, holding my head. 

Tyler turned to me. "Are you okay?" 

I exhaled, nodding, lowering my hand to my side. "Yeah. I'm fine. I just got light-headed for a sec." 

"Since when did vampires get light-headed?" Tyler asked.

"It's probably because of the branding spell," I told him. "That, and being sick, Kai's magic is out of order, and this hex came from his magic, so the worse that he gets, the worse I get, and once he gets better and takes the spell away, then everything will go back to the way it was." 

"Then why do I get the feeling that not everything will go back to the way it was?" Tyler asked.

"Probably because I won't magically forgive Stefan and Damon for the secret they've been keeping from me for 20 years," I answered. "And they have pretty much defined the last three years of my life. So, yeah, my life is definitely changing one way or the other, but at least I won't be in a living hell." 

"You sure you want to do this?" Tyler asked. "They all know that you've been going through a lot lately. You know that they won't blame you for wanting to leave." 

"Today isn't about me, Tyler," I told him. "It's not about Stefan or Damon. It's about Caroline. I'm here for her. And for Sheriff. Just because I'm going through hell doesn't mean that they deserve to be forgotten." 

I sighed, leading the way inside. 

~~~~~~

Tyler and I sat in the church in the front pew, a few people away from Matt, Stefan, Caroline, Elena and Damon.

The pastor began the service. "We are here to pay our tribute and our respect to a pillar of our community, our sister, our protector, Sheriff Elizabeth Forbes. We are also here today to show our love and support for Liz's family and friends." 

Police force members walked up to honor Sheriff Forbes.

Two placed an American flag over her casket. 

An officer spoke into the radio on his shoulder. "Calling Sheriff Forbes. This is the last call for Sheriff Forbes." Matt leaned forward as if getting an idea. "No response. Radio Number 2-6 is out of service after 12 years and four months of police service. Gone, but never forgotten. Center." 

The officers turned, returning to their seats.

Damon walked to the stage for the eulogy. 

I sighed, looking down, unable to look at him. "Liz Forbes was my friend. In her last moment, she asked me to pass along a message to her daughter, but I cut her off before she could say too much. I told her she could tell Caroline herself, but she didn't get that chance." He looked at Caroline. "Your mom wanted you to know how proud of you she was, and she should be. You're a beautiful, strong woman, a generous friend, and a bright light in a sea of dark. She said you were extraordinary, and you are, and so was she. Liz was a hero to this town. She was a hero to all of you. And she was a hero to me. Goodbye, Sheriff. You will be missed."