Chapter 10__Christmas Through Your Eyes

Jo was missing.

Alaric, Damon, Elena and I were meeting up in Alaric's office.

"So I asked around the hospital," Elena told us. "No one's seen Jo since last night at the ER. A bunch of stab victims came in, and one of them's missing as well."

"It was Kai," Alaric told us. "Jo knew he'd come after her, and he did."

"Not to give you boyfriend lessons or anything, but if you knew Jo's whackjob brother was out on the loose and after her, don't you think that keeping an eye on her would have been a smart move?" Damon asked.

"And what would you have had me do, Damon, ask you to compel Jo to stay put?" Alaric asked.

Damon nodded. 

"Guys, if Kai has Jo, we need a plan," Elena told us.

"Plan's easy," I told them. "Find Kai, kill Kai. Mm-hmm."

Damon looked at me, shaking his head. "Uh, yeah, no. You're not going near him."

"Why not?" I asked. "Guy tried to kill me and Liv."

"Yeah, and he almost killed me and Elena," Damon told me. "You're not going near him."

I looked at him suspiciously, confused. 

There was something he wasn't telling me. 

I just didn't know what.

~~~~~~

I was on the phone with Tyler. "Just think sociopathic Ryan Reynolds." 

"Haven't seen him." 

"Grunge vibe, annoying as hell."

"Still no idea." 

"Well, if he has half a brain, he will be hiding where vampires can't find him. So, in between levels of Mario Kart, can you, bus boy, and little, baby Gilbert maybe keep an eye out? Please?" 

"Yeah, got it. If we see him, we'll let you know." 

"Thank you."

I hung up.

~~~~~~

"Well, the shield is on the lookout," Damon told us. "Anyone else brimming with confidence?" 

"I mean, this just doesn't make sense," Alaric told us.

"What could possibly not make sense about magical twins absorbing into one another?" I asked.

"Listen," Alaric told us. "Jo needs her magic for the merge to work, okay? And she got rid of that back in 1992." 

~~~~~~

"Jo doesn't have magic because it's stuffed in a knife that was stolen and hidden by yours truly," Damon told us. "Kai won't find it."

"Yeah, unless Kai does a locator spell," I told them.

"It's impossible," Damon told us.

"Why?" Alaric asked.

"Kai was born without the ability to do magic," Elena explained.

~~~~~~

"If the only way to restore Jo's magic is to reunite her with that knife, Kai's gonna come for it," Alaric told us.