Chapter 5__The World Has Turned and Left Me Here

I was on the phone with Tyler, walking through the halls of my house. "A Halloween corn maze? Seriously? Do you know how stupid that sounds?" 

"Actually, I think it sounds kind of cool." 

"Well, there's no points accounting for taste." 

"Wow. Someone's extra fiesty today." I smiled. "It'll be fun. We need some fun, and so do you. I got to run some gear over to the football stadium later. If you want I could pick you up after, and we could go together." 

"You mean, like, a date? Because definitely not." 

"Come on, Nikki." I smiled at the nickname. "Don't forget that you owe me." 

I sighed. "You had to break out the favor card." 

"Duh." 

"Okay. I'll come." 

"Yes." 

"See you there," I told him, smiling, hanging up.

I sighed, turning to the fridge, opening it to see tons of blood bags, reaching inside and pulling one out to drink.

It was lunchtime.

~~~~~~

At the corn maze, a girl was dressed like Lady Whitmore, wearing a dirty white dress with blood staining the front of it, holding up a torch, running through the maze, screaming hysterically. She reached the entrance of the maze, meeting up with the crowd of teenagers. She had been pretending the theme of Homecoming, smiling, using the torch to light the bonfire, beginning to dance to the music someone had playing from their truck speakers. 

The crowd cheered loudly, heading into the maze.

~~~~~~

Tyler still hadn't gotten here by the time that night had fell.

I walked through the maze, completely and utterly bored, pulling out my phone to text Tyler. 

Party's lame. You got 5 minutes until I'm outta here. 

~~~~~~

Suddenly, people were yelling, "Watch it!" and "Hey!" 

I looked up to see what was happening. I heard a truck swerving, smashing right through the corn maze. People ducked, falling to the ground, screaming, knocking other people unconscious. 

The truck continued forward violently.

~~~~~~

I was on the ground, on my back, sitting up to see the chaotic mess of Homecoming.

People were injured, lying on the ground bleeding, dying, yelling for help. I stood, transforming at the sight of blood, at the smell, breathing heavily. 

I held my hands to my face to hide the red eyes and veins. "No, no, no, no."

Breathe. Just breathe. Push it back. Fight against it. Bury it.

After a few moments, I felt in control, lowering my hands to my side. 

I saw Elena in the crowd, healing people with vampire blood as she went, careful to make sure no one saw her.