Chapter 19__Because

Caroline and I were at a club, dancing.

Pretending everything was exactly the same, smiling...

It was exhausting, and I could barely pull it off.

Two guys came to dance with us.

Caroline smiled, giggling, dancing with her guy lively, pawing at his chest.

I let the guy who approached me spin me around, smiling, ending the spin behind the guy, looking at Caroline.

Caroline looked at me over the guy's shoulder, transforming, biting his neck, feeding, eyeing me, as if she was suspecting me and wanted proof that I was still emotionless.

Even though I hated it, I transformed, biting my guy's neck, feeding barely.

~~~~~~

Flashback

I stood in the living room of my own house with Stefan, Damon and Elena. "First step? Convince her that my humanity is still off. I'll tell her that my run-in with Tyler had no effect on me, and that is why I tried to kill Matt, and I want to keep the party going."

Damon looked at me in amusement. "Ah, look at that. The smart, selfless Nicola Salvatore has a plan." He looked at Stefan and Elena. "Told you guys she always figures it out." He looked at me. "Let me guess. Whoever's holding the kitten gets to talk about their feelings?"

"Torture her until she breaks," I told them.

Damon raised his eyebrows, impressed. "Sold."

"So, do I need to remind you guys that the last time Caroline thought that we were trying to flip her switch, she went on a killing spree?" Elena asked.

"Well, she's not gonna find out this time," I told them, picking up my phone, dialing the number, looking at Stefan.

I didn't know if Damon knew that Sarah was still alive, but if he didn't, I wasn't going to be the one to tell him.

~~~~~~

Now

Caroline and I walked out of the back door of the club, smiling, laughing, walking down the steps.

Caroline seemed slightly suspicious. "Okay, so, I'll bite. So, you hunt me down in a bar, where I am perfectly content feeding on the wait staff, so you can whine to me about how Stefan and Damon are dicks, and your long-lost sister is a bitch?"

"What kind of family keeps secrets like that for two decades?" I asked. "And, I'm sorry, but just because you're blood doesn't mean you're family. I met Sarah all of twice."

"You still saved her life," Caroline pointed out.

"That was then," I told her. "This is now."

"So, Tyler, Sarah, they had no effect on your humanity?" Caroline asked.

"None," I told her. "Whatsoever." I turned to face Caroline. "Hey, what do you say to a killing spree just to spite them for trying to make me turn it back on?"

Caroline smiled. "I like the sound of that."

~~~~~~

Flashback

Damon looked at Stefan and Elena. "See? She'll be convincing."