Chapter 1__I'll Remember

If you've made it this far, then you have probably read through my whole life for the past three years, so I don't feel the need for a big summary. 

Because I wasn't even at home. I couldn't go home, and right now, I don't think that's a bad thing.

I was talking to Elena on the phone, walking out of my house--that I had to compel myself on the border of Mystic Falls. "I don't even go to Whitmore, and I never have. Why would I care about their stupid football team?" 

"It's the opening game of the season, Nicola. Time to pick a home." 

"I did pick a home." I looked at my house behind me. "I just signed the deed to my new house." 

"You mean, you compel paid for your new house on the border of a town that doesn't want you. That's not home. That's sad." 

"Do you even like football?" 

"No, but I like drinking in the parking lot before hand." 

I heard Tyler's voice. "Nikki, you're coming." 

"Tyler, how many times do I have to tell you that's a family nickname?" 

"What family do you have left to call you Nikki?" Tyler replied jokingly.

"Ouch," Elena said.

"Touche," I told him. 

"Stop trying to change the subject," Tyler told me. 

"Don't act like you have any ground to stand on. You skipped an entire year."

"And Caroline hounded me for an entire year. So here I am. We convinced Care to come. I taught you everything that you need to know about being a vampire even while I am human, and it's been pretty freaking hard considering that I'm at college and you're not, so you owe me big time. Get your ass over here." 

"Nicola, I'm picking you up a 6 P.M. sharp tomorrow," Elena told me. "Okay? Bring your school spirit. Bye!" 

Elena hung up before I had the chance to argue. 

I sighed, hanging up, going through my phone pictures.

There was one of Stefan and Elena, Damon and Elena, Stefan and Damon....

I sighed, sitting down on the porch steps behind me. 

Damon died.

Stefan had left to go find a way to try and bring him back, but I hadn't heard from him in months

I debated calling someone for a moment, finally deciding to call. I got their voicemail. "Hey, Stefan. I know that you probably won't get this. Or you will, and you won't care. If you're just trying to spare me the high hopes feeling, or if you just want to get all of this crap out of life, remember that I am a vampire now, and this crap is permanently in my life, and I can handle whatever you tell me. Please, Stefan. Just call me. Text me. Anything that let's me know you're alive, or that you still care. When I lost Damon, I didn't think that I would lose you, too."

I sighed, hanging up, sitting back on the steps, hanging my head.

I missed him, and I wanted him back, but I didn't know what to do. 

I stood, turning to look at the house behind me. The house where no one else but I lived in, and it was even more depressing than the Salvatore Boarding House, my actual home, because at least I could call that my actual home, where I had been born and raised in, where everything bad thing that happened to me, literally, happened there, and yet, so did every good thing.