Chapter 13__The Day I Tried to Live

Liv showed up at Tyler's dorm to tell me what had happened last night. 

Damon had let Kai out so that he could use him to save Sheriff's life from the vampire blood-induced cancer, and they did, and so that he could force Kai to take the spell away from me.

Kai had disappeared and taken off with Jo before he took the spell away from me, trying to merge with Jo.

Luke had stopped him from merging with Jo, offering himself up in replacement. 

So, Luke and Kai had merged, Luke had lost, Kai had won, Luke was dead, Kai was alive, and he now had the ability to do magic. 

Tyler wasn't in the dorm room now, but Liv and I were. 

Liv was holding a white dress, crying. "I was gonna wear this for the merge ceremony. It's the dress I would have died in." She threw it away. "How could Luke do this?" 

"He didn't do this to you," I told her. "Kai did, and he's going to finish what he started by killing you and every other Gemini. So, please explain to me why you ditched your dad to fend for himself and came knocking on my door when you should have gotten the hell out of here." 

"Just haul ass out of here like my dad?" Liv asked. "Live out the rest of my life wondering, 'Is today the day that Kai finds me?' You say that I should have taken off with my dad. You're wrong. I should have just done the stupid merge. At least then, Luke and I would still be together. All our lives, we've never been apart. I don't know how to do this."

"I'm so sorry, Liv," I told her. 

Liv cried. "I can't run, Nicola. Kai took my entire life. Just like he took your entire life. There's nowhere for either of us to go." 

I looked at her in realization. "And that's why you came here. You know that I hate Kai, and you know that you could have possibly talked me into helping you get revenge."

Liv stood, walking closer. "It wouldn't be revenge just for me about losing Luke, Nicola. It would be revenge for you about him telling this giant family secret in the worst way possible, destroyed your relationship with Stefan and Damon, and left you little images in your head that you can't turn off when you see either one of them, or if you're alone, or in your dreams. If we deal with him, then maybe all of that goes away." 

"'Maybe'?" I repeated. "Try to inspire less confidence, Liv." 

"Okay, I'll admit that death might not make all of that go away," Liv told me. "But that's why we force Kai to undo the spell before anything is done." 

"And then?" I asked. 

Liv sighed. "And then I want you to help me kill Kai." 

~~~~~~

Liv sat on the floor, chanting.

"What are you doing?" I asked. "Liv, come on. Talk to me. What are you doing?" 

Liv stopped. "When Luke and I were kids, we used to play hide-and-seek. We figured out a way to cheat by using a spell to se through each other's eyes." She continued to chant, her eyes taking on a weird silver glow. She stopped, looking at me. "The bastard's at your house."

"Why the hell would he be there?" I asked. 

"I have no idea," Liv told me. "Of course, Damon would find a reason to work with him."

Liv stood. 

"Look, Liv," I told her. "I know how pissed you are right now. I get that probably more than anybody, but--"