Chapter 16: Below Zero

Jean had reached his home in a tizzy that day on Valentine's Day. He showered first and laid down on his bed after popping in his earbuds. He closed his eyes and listened to music before he would get started on his homework.

The conversation earlier with Mikasa played in a constant loop in his mind, and he reached a happiness high that made him smile constantly, despite his best attempts at napping.

After five minutes of not falling asleep, he stretched and sprung up from his bed, strolling over to his desk. The silver laptop that sat atop of it was opened, and he started to pull up his homework assignments.

He cracked his stiff fingers and typed away at his biology paper. A sudden rush of productivity coursed through him, almost as if the adrenaline rush from earlier was boosting his energy. He was doing fine, throwing himself completely into his work. That was until he got a message from Marco.

Marco Polo: Hey how'd it go with Mikasa

Jean smiled down at his phone. He was quick to leave behind his assignments and close his laptop in favor of leaning back in his chair to text Marco a reply.

Johnny-boy: It went waaay better than I expected. She even smiled, Marco. Smiled. She was hiding it under her scarf but I still saw and heard the happiness. Who wouldn't be happy dating me?

Marco Polo: Darn. So close, Jean. I was so close to being happy for you but you had to go and ruin it with your douchiness

Jean rolled his eyes at the phone.

Johnny-boy: ok fine I'll cut the arrogance out but bro

Johnny-boy: I'm in

Johnny-boy: She's now my friend!!

Marco Polo: wtf I thought you asked her out

Johnny-boy: Nah I wanna get to know her more first. That way she's more comfortable around me

Marco Polo: who knew you could make good decisions

Johnny-boy: just stfu and be happy for me

Marco Polo: ok I'm happy for you but I'm still gonna bully you

Johnny-boy: that's the douchey side of you that no one knows about but me

Marco Polo: Well, I'm gonna continue being a douche to you right after I finish dinner. See ya loser

"Ok."

Jean shrugged and set his phone down on top of his desk, once again opening his laptop back up and training his eyes back onto the bright light of its screen. But he began to get a bit distracted, so he picked his phone up again and played around on it.

After a few minutes of scrolling through social media, he decided to call Y/n. His heart sped up as he dialed the girl's number and he felt like how schoolgirls phoned their friends about boy crushes. But in this case, he would be phoning about Mikasa, a girl who was as strong as 100 boys herself.

Just when he thought that the girl wasn't going to answer, he heard the distinct sound of silence impact the line. There was the distinct padding and wrinkling of fabric through the other side, followed by an almost unrecognizable, coarse voice.

"Hello?"

"Y/n? That you?"

He heard a frail voice respond.

"Yes."

The wavering in Y/n's voice scared him and he quickly sat upright in his seat.

"Y/n, what's wrong? What happened?"