Chapter 20: In Retrograde

The leaves outside be hella crispy 👌👌🍁
Anyways, shout-out to @supremearlert for leaving me such life-giving comments! Love 'em!

~♢~

"Well, well, well. Look who decided to crawl out of her hole."

Eren grinned over at Y/n from inside the car's passenger seat. His mom followed up by swiftly smacking the back of his head for being rude, even though Eren swore it was a joke.

Marco and Jean had walked over to Y/n's place prior to Eren coming. They were both eager and ready to go at around 11am, with Jean having spammed Y/n's phone to make sure that the tired girl was ready to go since she would never willingly wake up earlier than 12pm except on school days.

Once the van's door slid open and revealed a sleeping Mikasa, Jean's heartbeat quickened. He stepped in, sat next to her, and ignored the fact that he would have to take the middle seat.

Marco chuckled to himself as he saw Jean once again acting like a fool. He moved the seat forward for Y/n to climb into the back seat and he stepped aside.

Y/n made her way to the back and couldn't help but smile over at Armin, who looked at her with nothing but glee.

"I missed you!" He exclaimed and extended his arms out for Y/n.

And like clockwork, the girl fell into his arms, embracing the person she cherished most in the world.

Relief washed over Armin. Seeing his friend after what felt like an eternity was an ethereal experience. In his eyes, she was still as cute and as spunky as he remembered her to be. He made sure to hold her to him as long as he could, just in case she slipped away once again for weeks.

"I missed you too, Goldilocks."

Pulling apart from each other, Y/n was pleasantly surprised to see Armin's hair put up into a messy ponytail. He was cute.

Too cute.

"Fucking hell, I can't resist him."

Y/n tried her best to calm her wild heart. She hoped and she hoped and she hoped that time would fix all, and that eventually her feelings for him would dwindle down to nothing more than admiration and fondness.

But hoping was a fruitless endeavor. Because she knew that it would take a long time to get over the boy that had practically been ruling over her heart and mind for a long time.

Y/n rested her head back against the seat and closed her eyes momentarily. She pieced together the reality of her situation and came to one conclusion:

Just one more day. And then I'll get over him.

~♢~

Hot sand that inevitably got into everything and a blazing ball of gas in the sky was not something that one would expect to enjoy. Yet the beach was full to the brim with people willing to get sunburns on their backs and sand in their trunks.

Eren Jaeger and his merry band of misfits were no exception. He and the others met up with Sasha and Connie's group and made their way to the white dunes.

Carla Jaeger dropped the kids off and went exploring around Paradis Coast's many shops.

Eren was hoping for this so that he could shamelessly flirt with poor, unassuming girls. Luckily for him, Jean and Reiner were there to help, with Bertholdt observing their actions quietly as a third, neutral party.

"Hey, Eren, what about her?" Jean pointed across the sand at a girl who was standing within the shorelines and posing casually, snapping pictures of herself and being blissfully unaware of Eren's scheming ways.